'A' drive will not work after upgrading to XP

Zebrapec 17:50 12 Apr 05

I needed broadband, but it would not work on my WIN98 first edition. Could have got second edition but went the whole way and got XP. Did not think to try A drive untill my kids tried to do homework and the A drive will not save or load.
Been into devices and it says the drive is OK! Oh I have no floppy disc drive info to hand, sorry.It has worked for 5 years upto upgrade.
Any one help please?

pb457 18:01 12 Apr 05

You haven't accidently toched the bottom of the drive and touched the electrostatic sensitive circuit boards, or accidently pulled the cable out of the back because, when XP says its working properly its not always true, i have conflicts on my computer, XP says its working properly but i still get them happening. I don't think XP is a very well designed piece of software. You could buy a new one they only cost a few pounds then at least you will know whether it is the computer of the floppy drive.

Zebrapec 18:15 12 Apr 05

Ok, pd457 I read what you are saying, but,there is no cable to pull out of the back, as the floppy is inside the tower case and always has been. I cannot see how it could be a faulty drive as it was working up to the last minute before installing XP (I'm not saying it is ok but it seems unlikly, don't you agree)

pb457 19:04 12 Apr 05

It was a case of whther you had actually been inside your computer fiddling about there is a cable to pull out inside the case if you haven't touched it inside, your floppy drive is either knackered or you have a general fault on your motherboard. It is very unlikely that you have a problem with XP as you are propably the only person to of had this problem thinking about it it is likely that your floppy could be so old that Xp does not recognise the inbuilt drivers and therefore won't be able to control it. Like i said try buying a new one to find out.

Totally-braindead 19:06 12 Apr 05

Don't agree with pb457 as to XP not being well designed but as to your problem go to contol panel, device manager, find the floppy drive and remove it by right clicking on it then restart, Windows should find the drive and reinstall it. Failing that the only thing I can think of is that you haven't updated the motherbaord drivers for XP and its possible this may be the cause of your problem.

Totally-braindead 19:08 12 Apr 05

As far as I am aware a 3.5" floppy has always been designed the same, I know of no other older drivers that you could need so its not that.

VoG II 19:17 12 Apr 05

What does it say in Device Manager?

Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager button. Right click the drive, Properties.

MIke 19:26 12 Apr 05

I know this may sound odd, but I had a very similar problem a few years back when I upgraded from Win 95 to Win 98. My floppy drive didn't work, although it did show in My Computer. I checked the usual things like loose cables, and even swapped it for a known good drive, with the same result.

Eventually I tracked the problem down to my on board graphics. I upgraded to a new graphics card, turned off on board graphics in the Bios and found co-incidentally that my floppy now worked.

I reverted back to on board graphics, and found that floppy no longer worked. I put it down to a driver conflict, using Win 95 graphics drivers on a Win 98 platform.I found Win 98 drivers for my Motherboard from mfrs site which included updated graphics drivers, installed these and my floppy then worked OK when using the onboard graphics.

I know this may not be the answer to your problem, but it might be worth checking to see if there are any specific XP drivers for your graphics card, in case you have a conflict like I seemed to have.

Zebrapec 20:54 12 Apr 05

Phew, a few things to try there.
Up to now I have been in Device Manager and it says my floppy 'is working properly'
I have search for updated drives using the Troubleshoot but the response comes back that there are no newer drivers available.
I am going to try and remove it now as Totally- Brained suggested

octal 21:41 12 Apr 05

Try reloading the drivers, you can do that by deleting the floppy drive from device manager, then reboot the computer and it will reload the driver.

Zebrapec 23:57 16 Apr 05

YOU WERE CORRECT! the floppy drive was knackered as you said. thank you very much. Got another and bingo all sweet, but being curious, i had to have a look inside. Lo and behold i found a couple of spings and and other parts of a floppy inside.
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…