Drive Selection on Bootup

johnpalmer 15:43 20 Oct 04

I now have a partition on my 80gb hard drive with a 50/50 split.

I have now installed an operating system on both C drive and D drive.

As the latest installation was on to my D drive, the computer always boot up into this.

How do I switch to boot up in C drive, and can I create a permanent 'prompt' so that I can select which drive whenever I boot up.

Regards

John Palmer

Liam101 15:53 20 Oct 04

You haven't given much information to work on. Are the C and D drives different operating systems or the same type e.g. ME, XP, etc.?
You also require a method of tranfering from one drive to another so that you can alternate which boot up you require (which you have already stated). For this you need a program like partition magic to be installed on both drives as you do not want each drive seeing each other. Once partition magic is installed you can switch between drives.
Good luck

Liam 101

temp003 17:46 20 Oct 04

Further information as requested by Liam101 would make it easier to advise.

Assuming that both operating systems were properly installed, and each partition has its own boot files, you can try OSL2000 click here which will allow you to select which partition to boot from.

johnpalmer 21:53 20 Oct 04

I am running Windows ME on both C & D drives.

How would I install Partition Magic on both drives if only the D drive is currently bootable.

I can view all the C drive files via Windows Explorer, but am ignorant on how to boot it up from startup.

I am not totally competent on computers. Have you got anymore recommendations.

John Palmer

temp003 11:35 21 Oct 04

Unless you had used fdisk to change the active partition to D, C would have remained the active partition when you installed the 2nd copy. The original boot files were simply replaced by the new set of boot files which tell the computer to load Windows from the D partition. That's my suspicion.

I'm not sure this will work. But try booting up computer with a ME boot floppy, then at the A prompt, type:

sys c:

and press Enter. Remove floppy and restart. See if it will load Windows on C.

If it works, restart computer with ME floppy and at the A prompt, type:

sys d:

and press Enter. Remove floppy and restart. It should still load Windows on C.

Then install OSL2000. Restart computer. It should give you a table of partitions to boot from. See if the dual boot works.

johnpalmer 12:12 24 Oct 04

Tried your suggestion of Windows ME Boot Floppy, but computer boots up normally, and I am not given the dos A prompt

Do I need to press anything on the keyboard to get this A prompt screen.

I have even tried pressing delete on boot up to enter the system screen,and changing the boot option to floppy disk. The system then tries to reinstall the complete ME.

I have now changed the boot option back to what it was.

Can you offer any other ideas @

Many thanks

John Palmer

johnpalmer 12:12 24 Oct 04

Tried your suggestion of Windows ME Boot Floppy, but computer boots up normally, and I am not given the dos A prompt

Do I need to press anything on the keyboard to get this A prompt screen.

I have even tried pressing delete on boot up to enter the system screen,and changing the boot option to floppy disk. The system then tries to reinstall the complete ME.

I have now changed the boot option back to what it was.

Can you offer any other ideas @

Many thanks

John Palmer

temp003 13:15 25 Oct 04

Download another ME boot floppy from click here Double click the download and insert a fresh floppy to create the boot floppy. Set BIOS to boot from floppy first, and try again. Choose Start computer without CDROM support and see if you can get to the A:\> prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…