Drive missing from my computer

ianeon 09:04 21 Nov 07

Good morning - discovered that my "E" drive is missing from my computer(DVD) - I went to carry out the normal recovery procedure i.e. delete the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" - only to discover that these filters are not in my registry - Can anyone help me get these filters back, please - Thank you - Ian

ambra4 10:24 21 Nov 07

This might work to get your drives showing download and run

click here

ianeon 11:10 21 Nov 07

ambra4 - Thank you for that thought - unfortunately it didn't work

Totally-braindead 11:58 21 Nov 07

Is the drive detected in BIOS?

Have you checked that the cable has not come adrift?

ianeon 12:40 21 Nov 07

Totally-braindead.. Thank you for that suggestion. However I am not computer literate. I can only follow instructions, si I don't know how to check my BIOS

ianeon 12:58 21 Nov 07

A new twist to the problem - If I boot my computer in "safe mode" - Then I can see my E & D drives in "My Computer" and "device manager" - BUT the "LowerFilter" and "UpperFilter" are still missing from my registry - Help, please - I'm lost now

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 21 Nov 07

Forget Upper and Lower filters you don't need them.

In normal mode can you see the drive in device manager?
Is there an exclamation against the DVD drive?

WhoopyBoldBerg 17:17 21 Nov 07

hi mate ...there is a few things u can try...

1, right click mycompter and goto manag it will open a window ...if u click on disk managment in the left hand collum it will bring up a list in the middle of all the drives in your computer look for the one that is either unalcated or unformated ...or uniitlized.

2, try editing the registry ....i have done this myself, i lost all my cd-rom drives in mycomputer and could no access them after many hours of searching i found this

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.
Step 4: Restart the computer
If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

i hope this helps

ianeon 17:49 21 Nov 07

Fruit Bat -In normal mode I CANNOT see the drive in device Manager.
WhoopyBoldBerg - My drive is NOT listed in Disk Management and I have done the registry bit - Thats how I discovered thatthe UpperFilters & LowerFilters were missing - Thank you for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 21 Nov 07

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

ianeon 18:31 21 Nov 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - Thank you - I cannot find the following: MxWI2k.sys & pfc.sys - Wot do I do now ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac