Drive letters

Chas49 20:13 07 Feb 08

After I had tried several times to reinstall XP some time ago I noticed, after I had succeeded, that instead of the old familiar drive letter C:/ I had H:/ Although it boots Ok I find that some programs I have are obviously looking for the C:/ drive and so an error is generated. Is it possible to change this drive back to C:/ without losing my operating system again?

MAT ALAN 20:38 07 Feb 08

click here

you will need to do c:/ drive first, change it to z or something like that so C:/ then becomes available..

Chas49 20:46 07 Feb 08

Thanks Mat Alan, I have printed the instructions and will have a go tomorrow.

Chas49 08:04 08 Feb 08

As I suspected - Windows cannot change the drive leeter of a system disk, ie: the partition holding the OS

Such is life!

UncleP 10:49 08 Feb 08

This gives one reason why the drive letter change may have occurred click here
but don't know whether it applies in your case. If not, the solution may suggest possible action necessary to get a correct installation.

Mike D 11:05 08 Feb 08

This happened to me click here
I had to reinstall because my understsnding is that yoiu cannot change to drive letter where the Windows installation is.

Mike D 11:06 08 Feb 08

Wish I could learn to proof read - I'm sure you can make sense of it!

Chas49 20:10 08 Feb 08

UncleP:

Yes, I would say that this is how it happened - I did have my external drive plugged in when I succeeded in installing my operating system - after many failed attempts!

Mike D:

It makes perfect sense to me Mike.

Thanks to both - it looks like another reinstall is due - the external drive is now coupled to another computer so the only drives (other than the original hard disk) are the CD Drive ,DVD drive and card reader.

Chas49 20:11 08 Feb 08

Sorry about the delay in answering but the bright sun encouraged a day out in Brum. <G>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…