Drive Letters

Southernboy 14:50 01 Oct 05

On my PC, Drive F was a Zip Drive and Drive G an external HD. The OS is XP SP2.

I have uninstalled the Zip drive and all its software and I expected that Drive G would automatically become Drive F, but this has not happened. It remains Drive G and there is now no Drive F. Does anyone know why, please?

If I were to install another Drice, would that become Drive F?

dan11 15:52 01 Oct 05

Windows will have a record of you using the " Drive G an external HD ". So every time you plug this into the computer, windows will recognise the drive and give you the letter "G" for it. If you were to plug it into a different usb port ( assuming it is usb ). Then windows may redetect it and may asign a different letter. Notice the two may's.

"If I were to install another Drice, would that become Drive F? "

The chances are very high, that it would.

dan11 15:54 01 Oct 05

You could, of course, re-assign the drive letter of the external drive to "F", if you so wished.

VoG II 16:47 01 Oct 05

How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
click here;en-us;Q307844

VoG II 16:48 01 Oct 05

I mean click here

ade.h 17:38 01 Oct 05

It won't automatically bump the other drives down one letter; some CD-based programs may expect to use a particular drive (though most are not that fussy IME) so Windows leaves it as is. If you don't run such a program, then changing it is easy if you want to.

Southernboy 13:51 04 Oct 05

I may as well leave it as Drive G as it is causing no problems.

I expect I will have some else to attach at some time in the future - maybe a digital camera.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…