Drive letter assignment

OllieXP 11:07 23 May 06

I'm hoping somebody can help here...

Like many, I have several mass storage devices that I use through USB. I like to create shortcuts to these devices on my desktop so that I can specify how each opens when I click on them. for example, when I click on my camera icon, the shortcut opens the camera folder that contains the images and shows thumbnails.

Obviously, the system assigns a letter to each device plugged in. But if I plug in my USB memory stick or external hard drive, they automatically get assigned the next available drive letter. Is there a way to specify a particular letter to each device so that it is always that drive when plugged in regardless of what other devices are/are not plugged in?

Graham ® 11:49 23 May 06

to choose from. If you assign the hard drive to Z and the memory stick to X they will be unlikely to be changed. Similarly, spread the other devices around in the alphabet.

OllieXP 12:46 23 May 06

Thanks for replying. However, my problem is that I don't know how to assign the drive letters. For fixed drives, it can be done through Device Manager but the USB devices aren't listed. Also, there's no option in the specific drivers installed for each USB device.

Am I missing something?

Graham ® 13:09 23 May 06

Connect a USB device. Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Right click on the USB device, 'Change Drive Letter...'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…