Drive letter allocation

wildtrout 13:16 10 Jan 06

I have just installed Win XP pro onto a new hard drive. After installation I noticed that Windows has allocated this drive as 'F' and not 'C' as I was expecting. The Floppy is the 'A' and my two optical drives are 'D' and 'E'.
Can anyone tell me why this is and could it cause any future problems? There are no other programs loaded as yet.
I did try and rename but the system will not allow me to modify the system or boot volume under Disk Management.

Diodorus Siculus 13:57 10 Jan 06

With XP there should be no problem - just be extra vigilant when installing software.

Chegs ®™ 14:06 10 Jan 06

I would bite the bullet and reinstall XP again.I haven't found any problem as yet on my daughters PC(XP has chosen D: for its drive-letter)but I once had @XP on my system chose F: and some progs refused to install(most notably AVG) as the "path" was not as it should be.

I also tried various methods to switch the drive-letter to C: such as Partition Magic on my F: system and only succeeded in screwing up the various apps,despite PM using "Drive Mapper" to correct the path for these installed apps.

wildtrout 14:54 10 Jan 06

Chegs
Just reinstalled as nothing better to do this afternoon and BINGO, hard disk now 'C'
how strange.
many thanks for replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…