//some 3rd party need geo

drive letter

eccomputers 23:04 28 Feb 03

I have just re-installed XP pro on a new hard drive,,but I had a secondary one attached at the time also.
Now, XP has called my primary master drive (new one), drive E and it says I cannot reassign a drive letter to a system drive.

Any ideas on how I can get this stupid thing to be C again?

Many thanks

Forum Editor 00:10 01 Mar 03

set as a master, and is it the master drive on the primary IDE channel? Is the second drive on the same cable - if so you should set the jumpers to the 'slave' position.

The BIOS will automatically assign drive letter C to the master on primary IDE.

eccomputers 00:23 01 Mar 03

Setup is as follows....

Primary master.....30gig hdd (drive E)
Primary slave......dvd (drive F)
Secondary master...30gig hdd (drive C)
Secondary slave....Ricoh cd-rw (drive D)

The bios confirms the above

XP installed on primary master but has called itself drive E

Ironman556 00:36 01 Mar 03

Have you tried unplugging the other drives and just leaving the hdd's in, then booting to XP to let it sort itself out. Then plug your other drives back in and see what happens.

eccomputers 00:40 01 Mar 03

I've tried booting with just the primary master connected but xp still keeps it as E

I wonder if you can change the reference latter in safe mode, I havnt tried that.

tbh72 02:13 01 Mar 03

I had problem's with an iomega zip drive. And from it I learnt something new. Connect only the HDD which you know to be your required C:\ drive, then goto the primary master section in the bios & press the enter key.

If alls well the BIOS will detect the hard drive, allow the computer to boot into the OS and report back with your results

Gman 02:21 01 Mar 03

open computer management console (local) found under administrative tools in the start menu then click on disk management. Right click on the drives you want to change and select change drive letters and their paths.

eccomputers 12:45 01 Mar 03

The disk manager will not let you change the drive letter for the main system volume....try it.

I have now reinstalled with only c,d attached. Then I attached the other hard drive and dvd.
All works fine now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…