Drive leters changed

Hitch-Hiker 12:45 16 Aug 03

my two cd rom drives used to be dreives E & F now they are G & H how do I change these back.
#Win 98se2

krypt1c 13:11 16 Aug 03

As they were E & F this suggests you had your HDD partioned as C & D, or have 2 unpartioned HDD.
Have you added more partitions ? Drive letters are assigned by Windows FDD then HDD then CD.

Stuartli 13:14 16 Aug 03

Go to Device Manager>highlight your drives (in turn)>Properties>Settings tab>change the two letters listed to the one you want for each drive i.e. D and D, then E and E for the second drive.

xania 14:38 16 Aug 03

Stuartli is only partially correct. The process will only work one way. If you are now using a new HD or have added a new partition, this will automatically move the letters for your CD players down. There's nothing you can do about this short of deleting your new partitions. I am regularly changing my partitions and have got round this problem by setting my CD drives to Y & Z respectively, and my zip-drive to X. Now, whatever you do, these letters are safely fixed.

xania 14:38 16 Aug 03

Stuartli is only partially correct. The process will only work one way. If you are now using a new HD or have added a new partition, this will automatically move the letters for your CD players down. There's nothing you can do about this short of deleting your new partitions. I am regularly changing my partitions and have got round this problem by setting my CD drives to Y & Z respectively, and my zip-drive to X. Now, whatever you do, these letters are safely fixed.

Stuartli 18:37 16 Aug 03

But Hitch-Hiker merely states that the letters have changed... At least krypt1c queries whether more partitions have been added.

This can happen when you use a bootup disk/reinstall Windows etc.

I recall the first time it happened to me some years ago - it was most puzzling at the time...:-)

Hitch-Hiker 20:24 17 Aug 03

Thank you for all your help now resolved.

The error or change was in my config sys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…