Drive Image and XP Activation

Mr Anderson 10:01 10 Jun 03

Just a quickie.
Am I right in saying that if you restore a Drive Image onto a new HDD due to the original failing you have to re-activate Windows XP?

Isnt there a phone number you can call to re-activate?

Jester2K II 10:16 10 Jun 03

If the imaged copy is not activated then yes. However if the hardware is the same then you'll just go through the same process as before. The screen will guide you....

Mr Anderson 10:42 10 Jun 03

The imaged copy is activated but if the HDD has failed and the image is restored onto a new HDD then I guess as its new hardware it will need to be re-activated.

Jester2K II 11:20 10 Jun 03

Ahh i see..

XP will give you the number to call.Just explain and it'll be OK.

Mr Anderson 11:26 10 Jun 03

Thanks for the confirmation.

Jester2K II 11:28 10 Jun 03

Also if its just the HDD then that might not be enough to trigger the call in which case you just need to activate it again.

Sir Radfordin™ 11:31 10 Jun 03

It may not need to be re-activated as it will allow so many changes before it thinks you've got a new PC. Some components do seem to cause more problems than others.

As Jester2K II says, if there is a problem it gives you the number to call. You may have to speak to someone but I've never had a problem getting them to allow re-activation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…