Drive Image and Win XP

Inside Edge 00:30 21 May 04

Can anyone help with this one ? I'm just setting up a new Mesh PC running XP Pro, and I want to make a complete image of the C drive before I start loading software, installing cards etc. This is because Mesh only supply a "recovery disk" and not a Win XP disk as such, and I want to be able to get back to what they supplied in the event of a disaster. I chose Drive Image after reading several recommendations on this Forum. When I try to back up the drive, the option to write the image to my CD or DVD writers isn't showing up - it only lets me back up to "local file" or "network file". The DI troubleshooter says this may be because the drive isn't supported by the DI software, or because it doesn't support packet writing. I checked the Symantec website, and sure enough, my new Sony CRX300E and DW-U14A writers aren't on their list - although many other Sony drives are. Sony confirmed that these are fairly new models that are OEM supply, and both support packet writing. Symantec confirmed (after 17 days wait) that they are not (presumably yet) on their list of successfully tested drives, and suggested I run their ver 7.03 update. I did this, but the drives still don't show. I wanted to use Drive Image, to make use of the recovery features available when restoring from an image on a CD. Can anyone tell me whether copying the image to a folder on my second hard drive, and then writing that folder to a CD would produce the same result as writing an image directly to CD, as the software is supposed to do ? Otherwise, has anyone had and solved the same problem ? Sory this is a bit windy, and thanks for any contributions.

Djohn 00:49 21 May 04

I use DI7 with XP Pro and have done as you wish to. The difference being that I have an XP disk and not a restore disk, so not sure how it will work with your setup.

In one way your lucky in the fact that the clean image you require should disaster strike is already done for you, it's on a hidden partition of your hard drive. The restore CD gives you access to this.

If at some stage in the future your system crashes all you need do is use the disk and restore your system to the exact clean state it's in at the moment including XP operating system.

The only other programs are the ones you will be putting on from now and any applications + drivers. These you will have the CD's for.

Until someone can provide you with a better answer make sure you back up all your files/folders/photo's etc. to a second drive or burn them to a CD each week or immediately if very important. XP has a backup facility to do this task for you or you can do it manually through drag/drop-copy/paste or from windows explorer.

Simsy 05:28 21 May 04

"Can anyone tell me whether copying the image to a folder on my second hard drive, and then writing that folder to a CD would produce the same result as writing an image directly to CD, as the software is supposed to do ? "

The answer to this is "Yes"...

However, for it to be useful you will need to make sure that you have a CD drive that can be seen for restore purposes, or you'll have no way of restoring from CD?

I'd suggest you create a small hidden partition on your 2nd drive and save the image there. Restoring from here will be much quicker, (should you ever need to), than from CD.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 05:30 21 May 04

that I am not familiar with XP, so apologies if this introduces factors which make my answer in any way incorrect!

Regards,

Simsy

ventanas 08:30 21 May 04

This is exactly what I do with XP and DI. Second hard drive partitioned into two. One is used soley for DI. Had to use it just once. Booted with the DI disc, pointed to the image, and the system came back perfectly.

You can copy the backed up image to cd at any time. Just drag and drop. Shouldn't be necessary though, unless the second drive goes belly up.

€dstowe 08:55 21 May 04

Consider carefully the amount of information you have to back up and the capacity of a CD or even a DVD. Even a modest Windows XP setup is several GB - which can work out at several DVDs or several more CDs. On the whole, not very convenient.

All my backups are done to a separate, dedicated hard drive using Drive Image 7. By far the most convenient to do and easiest to use if ever necessary.

€d

ventanas 09:48 21 May 04

Yep, just checked the size of my image file - 7GB.

I should have thought about that before suggesting copying to CD.

Inside Edge 16:31 21 May 04

Thanks to all of you for your very rapid and helpful responses.

I have a monster 250Gb 2nd hard drive (for video editing), so I'll hive off a bit with Partition Magic and use Drive Image to make a back up to there. This is the first PC I've bought that came without the Op system disk, and I've re-installed Windows many times in the past on other machines to get out of jail, so I feel like I've lost control of the situation if I rely entirely on a supplier's restore disk.

Regards, ......

rawprawn 16:40 21 May 04

I don't know if this applies to you, but my friend has just bought a new Mesh Matrix and if you hit F11 on boot there are three options, one of which will take the computer back to factory state.

Inside Edge 16:26 23 May 04

All sorted now. Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…