Drive Image Version 7

-pops- 12:20 13 Jul 03

In another thread, click here I have been rather dismissive of the new and radically different recently launched Drive Image.

I'm now retracting what I said because, despite its large size and having to have install the .NET thing, the program itself works very well indeed. It will do a full system backup in less than half the time of the previous versions and all while still in Windows, thus permitting you to get on with your other work.

I've done several backups with it, most to test it out and I have to state I am very pleased.

Another thing is, and I don't know whether this is against the spirit of the forum but, having had a previous version of Drive Image, I bought the upgrade. Now, I downloaded this on to a machine with a new hard drive (no previous DI installed) expecting it to ask for a qualifying previous version during installing (as M$ software does). It didn't ask at all, it just installed with no problem whatever. It was the same when I installed the 2002 version on another machine previously. So, there seems little point in buying the full version at all. Whether you want to do this is up to you. I do have a full qualifying version if it did by chance want it.

So, to anyone dithering about getting Drive Image V7, I would say do it!!

Brian

Chegs ® 12:45 13 Jul 03

I used DI recently to create an image of my C: drive,having created the image I "verified" it was complete,then proceeded to mess with the registry in XP.I successfully screwed up XP so tried to reinstall from the image,only it wont load as according to DI my C: drive has moved?? "SPEEDY (*) could not be found in the same location it was when the image was created.Unable to restore to original location"

I haven't altered anything in BIOS,I haven't intentionally altered anything,all my partitions are as they were when created,so I am very confused as to this error message.I did manage to repair my XP using the XP Pro setup disc,so it isn't a problem now,I just wondered if you might know of WHY DI would say this.Adam

-pops- 12:49 13 Jul 03

I saw your post about this, Chegs ® and I asked about "Speedy".

Now, I'm no expert in DI in any version number - just a user who finds it good but, can you point me in the direction of you other thread so we can re-visit?

Brian

BillEmm 13:05 13 Jul 03

Chegs ®, are you sure the message you are getting is refering to the C: drive location or, more likely, the Image file location?

You must make sure you are restoring the Image file from the exact location to which you copied it originally.

Chegs ® 16:20 13 Jul 03

I ticked my previous post as resolved(as I had "fixed" it by reinstalling xp ott)although the problem over DI isn't resolved.

I used DI to create an image of my C:/ partition(named Speedy by me)into another partition called I:/ (images by me)

Then(as I had a backup)I started messing about with my XP Pro(trying to cure its 10 mins boot up)Unfortunately I completely screwed XP,so I tried to load the image I had created just a couple of days earlier,and keep getting the "Speedy (*) could not be found in the same location it was when the image was created.Unable to restore to original location" message,and I haven't altered the cfg on my puter since I installed the SATA HDD's(SATA is serial ATA)

previous thread found here
click here

-pops- 18:07 13 Jul 03

I'm thinking that the calling your disk partitions by non-standard names may be something to do with this and/or using i.d. lettering that is not identified by Drive Image or perhaps even by Windows.

Try the normally accepted nomenclature for disk identification and see how that goes.

Brian

powerless 18:14 13 Jul 03

I have the DEMO of DI7 and also the DEMO of DI2002 running alongside of each other.

Havn't the courage to go for the fully paid version of DI7.

Anyway i know that you can create an image but you cannot restore the image in the demo.

But how would you restore an image? (full)

Lets say i have C:\Windows and D:\Imgage

Now what if stupidly messed up the C:\Windows so that i could not boot into windows, I tried all there is to try. So i now wish to restore the image of C from D. I'm guessing you use a floppy?

-pops- 18:22 13 Jul 03

You put the DI CD in and it boots into its own DOS (?) environment from where you lead it to your image - one click and it's off. All done and dusted in about 20 minutes on mine. No floppies needed which is just as well as the machine I've been trying it on doesn't have a floppy drive.

I would imagine on the download version you get the opportunity to burn the recovery CD.

I didn't buy the download as it was very expensive compared to Amazon.

I'm entirely satisfied with it!

Brian

BillEmm 18:24 13 Jul 03

You boot from a CD with the PQRE (PowerQuest Recovery Environment)program installed.

The days of the floppy are numbered!

Bill

BillEmm 18:45 13 Jul 03

Am I right in assuming you have your system (OS) on two SATA disks in a RAID 0 setup?

Bill

Chegs ® 19:02 13 Jul 03

I used Partition Magic to create the numerous partitions,each is given a letter C;,D:,etc.Right click each partition and select "Properties" and the option to Name the drives,so I did.Before I got the two 120gb hdd's I only had a 15gb hdd,chopped in two,and my C: partition was named SPEEDY,the D: partition was called STORED.I used DI on the C: drive(SPEEDY)to create an image,which I have used successfully for 18mths to restore my system(98se and XP Pro images)As I had changed my mobo and installed the SATA hdd's,I recreated the image of C:/SPEEDY into one of the partitions,then had a good twiddle in XP's registry and wrecked the install.I then tried to reinstall the backup image from the partition,and get the same error message each time,and just wondered if you/anyone could point me to where DI is getting its information about my C:/SPEEDY having "MOVED" as I haven't moved any jumpers/altered BIOS settings in my puter?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant