Drive Image & External Hard Disk

Dumfy 22:51 08 Aug 05

Hi All,

Has anybody seen this problem at all, please?

I'm using XP Home on a laptop with Drive Image 2002. I've partitioned its disk so I can save an image file to what is the D:drive.

I also have a Maxtor One Touch external hard drive and would ideally like to save the image file to it as well as D: - extra security if you like.

However, I can't save the image directly to the external drive as Drive Image won't me. I think it can't "see" the drive as it's USB connected.
I also can copy the image file(s) from the D: partition to the Maxtor either.

The error message says to contact Powerquest about this, but they've been swallowed by Symantec and I can't see any info about this on their site.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Dumfy

woodchip 23:01 08 Aug 05

Get Acronis True Image 8 Personal, that will. As I have done it with Free version of a Mag CD

Chegs ® 01:01 09 Aug 05

I use DI2002,but I dont have a "proper" USB HDD(only a card reader that shows as an extra drive in Explorer)I often get grief from the "USB HDD" left attached,with both XP installs and DI operations.I dont have any trouble copying any files onto the memory card in windows so cannot see why you cannot create the DI image on the laptop,then boot up windows and copy the DI files across to the USB drive.

The problem will be if the laptops drive dies,you wont be able to use DI to recover the laptops image from USB back to the next HDD.Either upgrade DI2002 to DI7,or you'll have to install an OS onto the new HDD(partitioning as before)then copy the USB HDD image across to a partition and then run DI again.

I'm a miserly bugger,so initially I used the slow way until I found a way to get DI recovery floppies to allow installation of SATA RAID drivers during their use(then returned to using IDE to carry the OS,and the SATA arrangement as vast storage)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…