Drive Image 7 requires a boot CD

prince midas 17:31 04 Dec 03

I have used all versions of Drive image from 1 to 6 over the years with no problems.

I decided to upgrade to version 7.

It backed up to another partition no problem but when i asked it later to restore it says it cannot operate in the windows environment and asks me to boot from the CD.

Surely it should boot as other versions did from the hard disk.Looks like I will have to go back to 6.

Surely this is a retrograde step..
The original 6 floppy will not work on 7.

woodchip 17:57 04 Dec 03

Go into BIOS set your comp to boot from CD and put the DI CD in and boot

powerless 18:32 04 Dec 03

If you imaged the one and only partition then you would have to boot from the CD to restore it.

If you imaged another partition you could restore that image via windows.

If you imaged the O/S partition then you will have to boot from the CD to restore the image.

leo49 18:45 04 Dec 03

The point that prince midas is making,Powerless, is that with previous versions DI rebooted and performed it's actions in DOS without having to insert the CD - so there's no " would have to boot from the CD" where previous versions are concerned.

powerless 18:51 04 Dec 03

I see now.

Just hope that he passes the PQRE

leo49 18:57 04 Dec 03

PQRE ?

powerless 18:59 04 Dec 03

As part of the installation process, you should test the PQRE to ensure it runs properly on your system. If the PQRE does not run as expected, you can take action early to fix the problems. Then if your backed up machine experiences a catastrophic failure later, you’ll be assured that you can run the PQRE to recover the system or your data.

The troubleshooting section provides information to help you resolve issues that may exist with running the PQRE on your system."

It works for me.

leo49 19:03 04 Dec 03

Powerquest Recovery Environment

I always run DI and PM from another OS so it never concerns me anyway.

prince midas 10:09 05 Dec 03

Is it straightforward this booting from the CD.

I assume I start computor insert Cd & then hit the del button to go into the Bios. What do I do then. It may be easy for you but it is new ground to myself.

What I do not understand is why on a single disk with DI on partition A, data on partition B & DI image on partition D I cannot restore as previous versions. Please explain a little more thank you.

prince midas 10:19 05 Dec 03

Disk should read C the boot partition, D the data partion & E the DI image data partion & computor boots from C.

powerless 10:22 05 Dec 03

You need to tell your computer to look at the CD drive when it boots up. The DI 7 CD will take care of everything when computer looks at it.

At the moment your computer is set to look at the hard drive and your hard drive [windows] will take care of that.

To tell the computer to boot from the CD just [usually] hit DEL and you should enter the BIOS's setup. Each BIOS is different so it is difficult to give exact instructions. But look for something that looks like "Boot device" or "First boot device" anything to do with a device [hard drive, Cd drive] that can boot the computer. You have to change the boot order so that the computer will boot from the CD and not the hard drive as it is doing now.

Simply put technology has moved and so has DI7. If you have two operatings system installed or two or more partitons you could restore the image from Windows. As long as the image is not of Windows itself that you wish to restore.

If you wish to restore the image of windows with only one os installed you will have to boot from the CD. Luckily when you have booted from the CD, what you see is a user freindly interface, no commands or anything and you can even use your mouse to restore the image of windows.

If you post your motherboard and BIOS we'll see if there is a manual for yout o download, or if you already have a manual for your motherboard take a look at that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…