Drive Image 7 query with Windows XP

CurlyWhirly 18:27 19 Nov 04

I am just curious when your hard drive comes to the end of it's life whether you can just put the new one in copy the drive image backup over to it WITHOUT the hassle of formatting?
The reason why I am asking is I have had a few SMART 'Seek Error rate errors' on and off for the past few days and I am not sure if it is a false alarm or not?

The reason why I am asking is that the only way I know of formatting is through the Windows XP CD.
What I mean is if your hard drive fails you would have to put the new one in and then alter the BIOS to boot up from the Windows XP CD and then format from here.
If the backup can be copied over without having to do this then it would be very convenient.
Does anybody know whether this is the case or not?
Thanks.

newts 19:18 19 Nov 04

I recently just ran out of space and purchased an 80G hard drive opened up the case and connected it up. I then formatted it and copied over C drive but using Acronis True image not forgetting before hand to move switches to show it as slave. I then took out the original and moved switches to show the new hard drive as master and then booted up normally. I presume Drive image will do the same. It worked perfect for me.

CurlyWhirly 19:21 19 Nov 04

Thanks for that. I am not 100% sure so I will leave this thread open for now.

newts 19:24 19 Nov 04

Perhaps I should have added that you can format the drive via control panel,admin tools,computer management,storage, disk management when it should show the added disk when you can format it etc,

CurlyWhirly 19:46 19 Nov 04

Thanks for the above info.
What my point is that in the event of a hard drive failure I wouldn't be able to format my new hard drive from the disk management option as there would be no working operating system!

The only reason why I posted my query is because my SMART hard drive utility keeps alerting me with a dangerous change in the Seek Error rate column in the SMART table and also displays a T.E.C date of 25/11/2004 meaning that a hard drive failure MAY only be around a month away and

I would like to be prepared for this event as even though I have a RETAIL copy of XP I don't want to have to restore all my programs, applications and settings again but just get everything up and running from my backup.

mattyc_92 20:12 19 Nov 04

You can aslo format a hard disk using the Win98 Bootdisk (the floppy disk that gives old versions of BOIS the CD drive ability)

CurlyWhirly 20:16 19 Nov 04

Hi. I haven't got a Win98 Bootdisk as I have never run that particular operating system!
I have only had a PC for around 2 years you see.

CurlyWhirly 20:33 19 Nov 04

Does anyone know where I can get a DOS program that I can fit on a floppy for formatting a hard drive?
I can't remember what it's called and I have never used it.

CurlyWhirly 20:55 19 Nov 04

Does anybody know if this is any good for formatting a new hard drive?
I know that it will fit on a floppy as it is only 191 kb in length.
I have already saved it to floppy but I am unsure whether it would be suitable?

I am referring to Free FDISK 1.2.1

click here

woodchip 21:06 19 Nov 04

I think you need to at least create a partition and make it active for the software to see the drive, you should then be able to coppy the image

woodchip 21:09 19 Nov 04

What file system Fat32 or NTFS click here Take your pick put a floppy in drive and double click the download to create boot floppy or floppy's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…