//some 3rd party need geo

Drive Image 7 query on 2 options NEVER used

CurlyWhirly 12:36 06 Jul 05

I have been using Drive Image 7 for a couple of years now but I have never used the following 2 options:

'Restore original disk signature' and 'Restore MBR'

I *haven't* used them before as I am not sure if they are needed or not?

I have Googled and found this page click here but although it explains what these 2 options do it doesn't really explain whether I should enable them if my current hard drive failed and I was restoring the backup onto a different hard drive?

All of the times I have restored my backup it has been to the *same* hard drive just overwriting the existing data on the same drive.

Does anyone know what these 2 options are really for as according to the link all it says is:

[QUOTE]
This option is recommended for advanced users and is available when restoring a whole drive only.

The above quote isn't really much help to me as it doesn't explain what the 2 options do in relation to backups!
Cheers!

CurlyWhirly 12:58 06 Jul 05

I *think* I am right in thinking that the 2 options ONLY need to be enabled if copying the drive 'image' on to a DIFFERENT hard drive i.e. a new one in the case of the old drive no longer working?

crx1600 13:13 06 Jul 05

have you had a look in DI7's help menu?

CurlyWhirly 00:33 07 Jul 05

Yes I have looked at DI7's help menu as you come to mention it but there is the EXACT info there as what I posted in my link.

I have sent Powerquest (now Symantec) an e-mail requesting further info on these 2 options but, to be honest, I don't expect a reply any time soon assuming I get one at all!
Thanks for replying. ;0)

crx1600 01:05 07 Jul 05

never used DI myself, but following your link, it appears 'Restore original disk signature' only applies to certain OS's, and 9x/XP aren't mentioned.

CurlyWhirly 07:15 07 Jul 05

Thanks. That just leaves the 'Restore MBR' query then!

CurlyWhirly 07:19 07 Jul 05

Thanks. That just leaves the 'Restore MBR' query then!

CurlyWhirly 07:23 07 Jul 05

Sorry for the double post.
I had an error come up even though I only pressed the post button once.
When it timed out and I refreshed the page, the second post must have been sent as well.

CurlyWhirly 07:26 07 Jul 05

I will tick this now as I don't see how it will do any harm enabling the 'Restore MBR' in the future.

Dae 18:27 07 Jul 05

I had this from Symantec a year ago.

"We do not recommend checking the option to restore the Master Boot Record. The only time you may choose to restore the master boot record is when you are restoring all your partitions at once back on to your computer."

If you get a different response, I should be pleased to know.

CurlyWhirly 21:15 07 Jul 05

Thanks for your advice.
If I get a different response from Symantec I will let you know (assuming I get one as Drive Image 7 is obsolete now to be replaced by Norton Ghost).

I *only* have the ONE partition on my 120 Gb hard drive and I think I will leave it as it is as I am led to believe that I need a programme such as Partiton Magic to resize the partition *without* losing my existing data?

Besides *if* I did repartition I wouldn't be sure if it would affect my existing DI7 backups!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…