Drive Image 7 - how can I test it?

Carafaraday 12:52 05 Oct 04

I am just about to install Drive Image 7 and will immediately back up my c: drive - to an external hard drive. Is there any way I can tell whether it's working ok, without actually restoring the whole drive (which is working well at the moment). I just want to be sure that when I really need it, it will be ok.
Symantec's help page for Drive Image 7 seems just to take you to Ghost so no answers or help there.

rawprawn 12:57 05 Oct 04

First of all Acronis produce Drive Image 7, not Symantic. Yes you can look, click on Explore Image it will show you all that is there. However you should use Acronis Secure Zone in preference to (or together with) your external HD. You then have the opportunity to boot straight from your saved image, and it is safely stored in a partition that can't be damaged.

Carafaraday 13:02 05 Oct 04

Rawprawn, thanks for your response. I thought that Symantec had taken over Drive Image? Not sure what you meant about Acronis Secure Zone - is this an additional product I have to buy? Sorry to be so dense - I really don't understand the Drive Image thing at all but I'm anxious to protect my pc in any way I can. I back up all my data files regularly but DI seemed like a good idea to back up the entire drive. Any help or advice you could give me would be most welcome.

rawprawn 13:42 05 Oct 04

I do apologise, that's twice I have made that mistake. I'm afraid I can't help you with Drive Image.

Carafaraday 13:48 05 Oct 04

Rawprawn- thanks for responding anyway and crx1600 too. Anyone out there who actually uses Drive Image 7.................?

Carafaraday 14:58 05 Oct 04

crx1600 - many thanks - lots of reading there. I had found the FAQs but not the other two - I did look at the Symantec web site before posting my plea for help, but somehow didn't find the right place to go - kept being sent to things about Ghost instead of DI7.

Any real live users of DI7 out there..?

anchor 16:22 05 Oct 04

Update to version 7.0.3 available.

click here

Quote: "Drive Image 7.03 provides resolutions to numerous problems with previous releases of Drive Image 7.0."

Carafaraday 16:37 05 Oct 04

Thanks, anchor - I'll go there when I've finally got up the courage to install DI!
Can you tell me whether it's possible to create a backup directly to external hard drive (USB), or whether I should backup say to desktop and then copy files to external drive - and will it all work in reverse if I ever have to restore?

I am presuming that you use DI7 yourself?

blanco 17:33 05 Oct 04

I suppose that like much other software, you've just got to trust that it works, or in this case, do as you suggest and make an image and immediately bring it back.
I use Drive Image 7 and use it weekly to make an image to a second hard drive.
I have had to use it once and it was easy to use and worked perfectly. I wouldn't now be without it.
Go for it!

Carafaraday 17:37 05 Oct 04

blanco - thanks for the encouragement - I need a good strong shove in the right direction. Can you tell me whether you 'make the imate' directly to the second hard drive? and do you think I could do that directly to a USB hard drive?
I suppose the reason I'm so nervous about it is that I don't have a Windows XP Home cd and if everything goes pear-shaped I have no idea how to restore Windows from the partition where the back up lives. If I had a cd I might be a bit braver!

Wuggy 20:35 05 Oct 04

Once you have made your image on your second HDD, find Drive Image on your start menu and select 'Image Explorer' this will bring up a window similar to Windows Explorer. Navigate to the image you have just made , highlight it then click on the 'File' menu and select 'Verify Image'. Depending on the size of your image it could take 15 - 20 mins to carry out verification and when complete you should get a mesage telling you that 'The image is sound' and should restore properly. Obviously the proof will be in the pudding if you ever need to restore but that is as near to certainty as you can get without actually going through a restore. I've used PQDI for years and it's never let me down although recently I was unable to image my son's PC with it and decided to use Acronis True Image 9Free with issue 104 of PC Advisor) which I found to be first class. Hope this is some help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…