Drive Image 2002 - freezing

toniee 17:10 02 Jan 03
  toniee 17:10 02 Jan 03

Hi ā€“ Iā€™m desperate for some help please - Have been trying to image my C partition to a number of CD-Rs (48x TDK media) since purchasing the software in 11.02, without success, even with PowerQuest techsupport.
I have an Evesham Axis 2000+GF4-AMD, running MS XP Home, RAM 512 DDR. The CDRW is a Mirai 40x12x48 IDE Internal Drive (GENERIC CRD-BP1700P using the driver Microsoft 5.12535.0 dated 01.07.01). The CDRW works fine for all other uses
The C partition contains the operating system and application programmes - D partition just contains data files.
I have disabled anti-virus in the BIOS, run scandisk, defrag and NAV with the current definitions. Also have inserted the 1st CD-R just before booting into DOS. Have also tried un-installing Drive Image completely and installing again.
The Problem: Have tried to create image 8 or 9 times now. It always hangs in the closing media phase normally at 50% completion, sometimes on the second CD-R, but normally on the third. The only way I can get out of this is to press the reset button on the computer. As the computer boots into Windows, if I check in windows explorer, it has no reference to the CDRW drive - It seems to have lost it. As the computer hangs it seems to break contact with the CD-RW drive and the mouse becomes dead
The 'closing media' stage seems to be the problem - even when this does complete successfully to 100%, it is not a smooth cycle - the slider stops and starts as though the indexing process is not working too well.
I assume that it possible to create an image of a partition containing the Windows XP home OS and MS Office XP Pro? - I am beginning to wonder whether the anti-copying measures MS has built into both these products may, be the problem.
Have others experienced this problem and found a solution please? ā€“ many thanks

Rtus 18:40 02 Jan 03

Do you have power saving options active in the bios? or antivirus set in the bios. any of these will disrupt the image as its writing.the problem can also be due to conflicts of the IDE ports (e-g Cdrw on same ide cable as primary Hard drive although it could be other incompatibilities)have you read the notes within the help files Drive image 2k2 re XP

toniee 09:08 03 Jan 03

Thanks for this Rtus - will check these points out

vinnyT 11:37 03 Jan 03

DI doesn't reconize my cdrw, so I (like many others) create my image on another partition on the HD. When you are setting up DI to create the image you can tell it (in advanced menu, I think) to create cd sized chunks. Then just use your cd burning sw as usual to copy it to cd. If you already know all this, just ignore me.

toniee 17:27 03 Jan 03

Many thanks vinnyT -I will try it. Have used DI 2.0 in the past with Win 98se, imaging to 100 Zips and it has always worked like a dream - therefore I 'have been' a DI fan.

vinnyT 21:38 03 Jan 03

yeah I like it, been using di3, but now got di4 from cover disk. Have used ghost in the past, but find di friendlier to use and a lot quicker.

toniee 12:40 04 Jan 03

Hi again vinnyT - just want to be sure about this - My HD just has 2 partitions C & D with D holding all my data files. Will it be OK to image in DOS (using DI 2002) from the C partition to the D (there is plenty of space) or do you have to have another partition which would be dedicated to recieving the DI files, and does not contain any other files at all. Also if I can image to the D partition, where and how do the image files show themselves amongst the existing data files. I assume they can be viewed and accessed through WE - Sorry asking about, what must seem very basic points, but I don't want mess-up on this - thanks

leo49 13:07 04 Jan 03

You don't HAVE to have a separate partition for Image files[which receive the file extension .pqi],but for practical purposes it makes sense to me place them on their own partition at the end of a HDD.

At the creation stage,you choose the drive you wish to image,the level of compression and whether to split or not.You then choose the target destination for storage,a file name and you can add comments about the image[eg you might want to note the software you've just installed or whatever].

As I said,the image will show up in Explorer as a.pqi file but you can view the contents of such .pqi files using Drive Viewer - a Drive image component.

Before making the image, it's good practise to have a good clear out of temp files,cookies etc[why image garbage?] and to scandisc and defrag the drive,as the drive will be imaged exactly.

Regards Leo49

toniee 13:38 04 Jan 03

Thanks for this info Leo49

david4637 13:56 04 Jan 03

Would you please confirm for Drive Image Version4 that you can send the image to any partition whether it has data in it or not already. If so this will give me confidence to try out the cover disc version I have. The reason for my reluctance is on a number of Buletin Boards I have read a lot of people seem to have problems with DI causing freezes and corrupting the HD. Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…