Drive does not see the DVD

StellaArtois63 15:08 03 Apr 05

I went to play a game today and the D drive does not recognise the fact that the DVD is there. All it keeps saying is to insert a DVD into drive D. I insert CD's into the drive and they work perfectly well. As I have just bought the Brothers In Arms game I have the right hump that I can't play it. Can anyone enlighten me as to what may have happened. The PC is a one year old Dell Dimension 8300 running XP and has played DVD rom games pefectly well before. The fact it is not even seeing any DVD's including films is to me a mystery.I appreciate any help, thanks.

P.S I have also tried reloading the software to no avail.

ACOLYTE 15:22 03 Apr 05

Sounds like the DVD lazer may have either become dirty or faulty and only works intermittently,if it plays cd's ok then it may just be dirty but as you say it wont play films either it sounds like the Lazer has failed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 03 Apr 05

Two lasers in the player one for CD other for DVD.

1. check cable at rear of DVD is fully inserted and retest

2. swap cable with other (if possible) and retest

3. Laser/ electronics in dvd u/s no repair popssible renew DVD player

StellaArtois63 14:34 04 Apr 05

As the thought of taking my PC to bits horrifies me I contacted Dell, they did a few checks and proved it was faulty. As I have a 3 year next day on site cover with them, they are coming tomorrow to fix it for me. I always ask you guys first because invariably I have caused the problem but this time its not likely to be me. Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…