Drive D vanished after resizing

fakir 14:56 28 Apr 04

I tried resizing Drive D & C coz the latter was getting overcrowded. I used Partition Magic ver 8 and OS Win Xp Pro. After I set up the spaces req etc all I got was eveything on C and D vanished. Moreover I cannot asses any files formerly on D, saying: drive D not found. Any help pl coz I had imp data on D.

Xevious 14:58 28 Apr 04

but guess you've learnt that you need to backup your data before messing about with HDD partitions...

sounds to me that the data may be gone, sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

unless someone else knows better?

inneedofhelp 15:00 28 Apr 04

i think you might be right, try using one of the free programs from downloads.com to try and recover ure lost info

Djohn 15:09 28 Apr 04

You could try Manage/Disk management then from the right hand pane create D partition again at the same size as previous. Choose "Refresh" or partition. This will allow XP to see the partition. but don't format the new D partition. You just might be lucky but I'm not too confident. j.

Xevious 15:25 28 Apr 04

"After I set up the spaces req etc all I got was eveything on C and D vanished." - sounds like it took the D and merged it into C, so i assume that there is no more available space to recreate the D drive as Djohn suggests, or am i reading it incorrectly.

if my suspicions are correct then it would seem that your data is now a part of history... :-(

Djohn 15:36 28 Apr 04

I agree and admit I'm really not sure on this at all. The way I'm looking at it is that D has been merged into C to make the one large partition but would this merge remove the data?

Maybe the data is still there but the path to it, "D" no longer exist, leaving XP looking for a non existing partition. I hope there is some way of fakir recovering the data that is probably still there. :o(

Xevious 15:41 28 Apr 04

i hear you. but my look on things is that if the drives have merged then the data stored on those cluster would have been wiped...

but then again i've never looked into these things so i guess it's all just my theory (along with a lot of other people's theories...)

you never know, your suggestion may well work and it's well worth fakir giving it a bash (not literally - lol)

SANTOS7 15:45 28 Apr 04

when you merge partitions one is expanded to include the second and normally the contents of the second partition are added to a folder inside the first

Xevious 15:46 28 Apr 04

thanks for that, you never stop learning hey!

so i guess fakir has a fighting chance then...

SANTOS7 15:51 28 Apr 04

there is a posible solution but i'm not sure, within PM8 there is a undo last change but i don't know if it will restore the files he has lost

fakir 19:05 28 Apr 04

Tanks for the comments, but from what I see the data is still there coz the prog shows it in graphic form. Looking in PM8 there is no undo. Tried restore from XP but D did not show up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…