drive caddys ?

Magik ®© 11:11 10 May 05

hi, I have a spare HDD, a seagate 60gb, written on it is ATA 1V , if i get a drive caddy can i use all the programmes on it, and also for storage of files and the like. what i can not get my head round, if the drive caddy's are usb where does it get it's power from? thanks

Indigo 1 11:16 10 May 05

The simple answer is yes, USB connetor supplies it's own power.

woodchip 11:17 10 May 05

Programs will not work so you may as well delete them as the Registry will not have any info about them on that drive as it will have another drive letter etc

woodchip 11:19 10 May 05

PS you could try find the main Program .EXE file and double click it to see if it will run as just odd one may work in a limited way.

Magik ®© 11:26 10 May 05

thanks for the help, so we can forget the progs, just one more thing about the power, when i took it out it had a power lead attached, is there enough power from a usb port?

thanks again

woodchip 11:30 10 May 05

No it should be self powered. A USB port cannot supply the amps

Magik ®© 11:31 10 May 05

thanks, I will order one..

SEASHANTY 12:26 10 May 05

Some HDD enclosures listed here
click here

Magik ®© 12:32 10 May 05

thanks for that......nice one..

woodchip 12:37 10 May 05

You have to set the jumper on the Drive to Master, for it to work. I got my caddy from Computer fair about £24

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…