drive cables

WaiKent 09:30 31 Oct 03

hi

a similar post was posted recently but i didnt understand it well.

as im building my pc now, and i got a dvd rw drive and also a dvd rom drive, i connected them to the ide cables etc. but my motherboard has onboard sound. so do i really need to connect the audio cable from the drives to the sound in my motherboard and where would the pins go as it is onboard?If i do would i have to connect both and are there enough pins for both?

alan 2273 09:44 31 Oct 03

Yes you do need to connect these cables. I do noy know what your mobo is but on mine they are listed as internal audio connections CD1 & AUX1. In your motherboard manual look for these two connections.

WaiKent 09:47 31 Oct 03

what do i do with these two connections then. which cables to i connect to them.

TECHNODIMWIT 09:48 31 Oct 03

if you only have one audio connection on your mobo, just plug in the DVD rom.
yuo will still be able to copy audio cd`s

mark

WaiKent 09:50 31 Oct 03

as te dvd rw is secondary master on IDE shouldnt i plug that audio connector to it.

keith-236785 09:50 31 Oct 03

if your cdrom and dvd players are pretty new, they will support digital audio,

to enable (it should be by default, but to check), open device manager, right click on the cdrom and choose properties, then click the properties tab.

near the bottom is a tick box and the wording

"enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device."

make sure it has a tick in the box, your cd's should play without the sound cable now.

good luck

WaiKent 09:52 31 Oct 03

okay so even if there are two connectors on the mobo and i connect the audio to them then enablde digital sound. will this cause any conflict?

graham√ 09:58 31 Oct 03

If they work without the cables don't connect them. More things to go wrong!

Simon_P 10:19 31 Oct 03

The sound should go through the IED bus so you shouldnt need to connect them, unless you get no sound.

The cables are needed for older PC's

And go from drive to CD audio socket on mobo or sound card.

If the sound works ok no need to connect them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…