dreamweaver mx - background colour missing

kah22 20:52 30 Apr 03

I am test-driving Dreamweaver MX for my local club but I am having a few difficulties. Hopefully someone can help.

In Dreamweaver 3 when you open a page/file and select a background colour (say mad red for example) that is exactly what you see - mad red!

However, in Dreamweaver MX this does not seem to be the case. When the program opens the default colour appears to be a shade of blue. If I want to change it, or change part of it, and go through the normal process Modify-Page Properties-background and select my mad red all I get is a slightly darker shade of blue!! But if I preview it in the browser it comes up mad red.

As you can appreciate this can be annoying. Without switching back and forward from Dreamweaver to browser you have no idea what is going on. It even makes it difficult to read text at times.

I am assuming that as Dreamweaver is a WYSIWYG program the colour should change within the program itself. How can I set the program so that when I set background colours and change fonts etc I can see them within Dreamweaver MX without having to constantly view it in browser mode.

At first I thought it was the video card but then if I use my old dreamweaver 3 everything works fine and the same goes for all other programs.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Taran 21:38 30 Apr 03

I'd suggest that this is a localised problem with your system.

First port of call should be your graphics card drivers and or an uninstall/reinstall of Dreamweaver.

Your page changes should preview in the Dreamweaver interface, just like the oder versions of that program. The fact that they don't would point to either a graphics card issue or Dreamweaver's interaction with your graphics system

Would you mind posting again with details of your operating system and graphics card ?

kah22 00:40 01 May 03

Thanks for the reply.

Its a P4 256k memory 60G hard drive with a ATI Radeon 9000 graphics card. The OS is Windows XP (Home)

I have tried the uninstall/reinstall process on a few occasions but with no luck. What do you mean by 'localised problems?' Any suggestions.

Feel free to e-mail me direct

Again many thanks

Taran 17:00 01 May 03

When I mentioned this as being a localised problem I meant that it was particular to you/your computer and not a mainstream problem with the software.

Out of curiosity, have you tried creating a multi-cell table on a web page and format each cell a completely different background colour ?

If so, how do the colours turn out (including your problem red colour).

Have you also tried manually editing the source code using code view to change the background colour. Try it, and refresh the code view before switching back to design view. This may help point one of us in the right direction to offer you some kind of resolution.

In the meantime I'll have a scout around in some of the Dreamweaver sites and see if this has cropped up before, but it's a new one on me.

kah22 00:16 02 May 03

Thanks for the reply. It is frustrating.

The problem with the colour is not with Red itself it is with all colours (I just used mad red because it is making me mad. :) What happens is that when I open the work-screen rather than find the default background colour - it's white in my own copy of Dreamweaver 3, the default appears as a light shade of blue, if I were to guess the hex number I'd say '6699FF'. Try altering the background, say to yellow (#FFFF00) and you get a colour looking like #99FFFF. I give these only as examples.

I have tried your suggestion of altering the codes manually, refreshing and then checking in design mode: still no joy. Ditto with the cells.

The actual program is Studio MX (Education version). It was given to the primary school as part of my Boards attempt to take IT into primary school. Because it has been (legally) copied and given to my school as part of that programme I am wondering if the fault could have occurred during the copying process. Unfortunately, the Boards IT advisor is away for the next three weeks and I seemed lumbered with a dud piece of software. Still I have Dreamweaver 3

I know I can have the program replaced, and probally will, but I love to find the bug.

kah22 01:00 02 May 03

Problem solved.

Spent some time testing various settings and by trial and error stumbled across the 'show grid' option as been selected. When I deselected it hey presto I got my mad red. I'm guessing it was checked when the software was copied and that was why it was coming up as the default setting.

Anyway many thanks Taran for the assistance offered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…