Dreamweaver hassles

Andrea2003 09:35 21 Feb 04

OK, I'm a complete numpty where this program is concerned. I've got my pages looking very pretty...uploaded them to my web space and nothing. Someone has had a look at some pages for a friend and a magic 'intro' file has appeared where she is supposed to do all her editing. So, step by step, what am I doing wrong? The help files don't help and I'm just about to throw my computer through the window.

So, once I have saved ****.htm, ****frame_1.htm and ****frameset_1.htm, do I just upload them to my space or do I have to upload everything in one file...sorry, I probably shouldn't be messing around with things I can't handle!!!

Forum Editor 10:52 21 Feb 04

look for an index file in a web, and unless it's there you'll see nothing. This file is your homepage, and you can name it in various ways, but for simplicity's sake stick to: index.htm

When you upload your web to the server you must send all the files that the site uses - all pages and related files, including images. Dreamweaver will do this automatically.

Andrea2003 11:27 21 Feb 04

Yep...done all that...all the files and images have uploaded...uploaded all the separate frame htmls but still nothing. Think it will have to be a trip to the bookshop and Dreamweaver for Dummies!

Taran 12:25 21 Feb 04

Create a single page and call it index.html

Just put some simple text on it along the lines of "Test Page"

Upload it to your web server and visit your site address.

Dreaweaver defaults to saving files as .htm but some web hosts still insist on your main site page being called index.html

Some hosts also require you to upload to specific directories within your web folder structure.

Who is your web host and what kind of account do you have with them ?

I imagine you will find either the file extension is causing problems, you have uploaded to the wrong folder in your web or, the most likely reason of all, that your frameset is having a bad day.

Frames are a huge pain and if you are just starting out I strongly suggest that you construct your pages using tables with your navigation down the left or over the top of the page instead of frames.

I haven't used frames for a long time now and I'm not sorry about it either. Get your head around static pages built with tables then try frames when you are used to how a web goes together and successfully uploads and operates online.

Andrea2003 12:30 21 Feb 04

Thanks Taran...am going to give that a go now...for some reason I thought tables were more difficult than frames....just shows how much I know!

Taran 12:40 21 Feb 04

A table is simply a grid of rows and columns that in turn hold cells - the cells act as containers for the text and graphics you put on your page.

A frame page is typically made from four pages displayed as on in jigsaw fashion. Your frames page has its source page, in your case the index.htm file, and this file contains instructions to load a top, left and main content page in certain positions and dimensions. Some frame pages only have a top and main section while others may have as many as five different pages [top, bottom, left, right, centre for main content]. Keeping everything running smoothly becomes a chore at times and search engines still hate frame pages.

T

Andrea2003 12:45 21 Feb 04

Yeah...there doesn't seem much point in making things more difficult than they need to be, so I'll just go with the tables.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…