Dreamweaver Display in IE6

Paroxetine 19:51 08 Feb 04

I am not sure what to put this under so will try and explaint the situation and see where I get.

Using Dreamweaver to create a webstie with frames. The main html page contains all the frames in it and they are viewable under the main html page within DW. I have set up a top, left and main frame which allows me to have a content on the left and the main frame will update as visitors chose a selection.

I created a page for all the links from the content and was in the process of linking them across. However something odd has happened. I know thats about the most vague thing ever but I am truly lost. The main home page was displaying all the frames properly. They were visible both in DW and IE6 with no problem. I can even view all the frames for the entire site seperatly from IE6 if i browse to there local location since I have yet to post it on the web. I changed the file names of the html files to make them easier to read. This now seems to have a knock on effect in that they will not display in the frames within the main html document yet are still there in DW design page and when opening seperatly. They just dont want to appear within there own frames.

I hope that this wil make sense at least as to what I am experiancing and if anyone can shed light on how to solve it I would be most greatful. I done a link check and updated the chache too with no solution.

Thanks in advance as always.

P

Taran 21:47 08 Feb 04

If you have a frameset that is made up of left.htm top.htm and main.htm and you rename one of them it will throw everything sideways. names are critical in web design.

For example, index.htm is not the same as index.html

I imagine what has happened is that either you renamed the files which knocked things out of line or you haven't used the correct frameset instruction for your pages to display properly.

A normal hyperlink will not work for frames. You have to use a target="" tag to tell a page to load into the main content area of your site when you click a link. Failing to do this just makes your frame jump to a single html file instead of loading the page into your frameset.

This is just one of the delights of working with frames. You also have issues in getting a frame site indexed by search engines since your page is actually two, three or even more pages displayed as one - which one does the search engine pick ?

Then there's the problem that if someone links to your main content page, unless you embed a clever little script into it, it is quite possible to have it load on its own with no top or left panel in sight.

Don't you just love frames...

Using them means naming your main content frame area and pointing your hyperlinks to the page you want to load and naming the target to load the page in.

Without being able to see what it is that you've done it's impossible to say for certain what the remedy is, but I strongly suspect that your renaming of files and probably the lack of a target in the hyperlinks is at fault.

Paroxetine 08:06 09 Feb 04

wow, good start to me day then.... :)

Was about to go and recreate the front page to see if that made any difference. It would seem then that frames are for the more advanced or shall I say, more for the beginner then then novice which I am? You are right in that I renamed the files and from there its all gone off key. Will start over I think since was only ten pages.

Any suggestions as to what to do other the frames? Tables didnt look as good since the text was all out of sync with the rows and colums around it and I would of thought that it would be best to have the one frame reload instead of the whole page time after time.

I really must go and read alot more on this I think, never an easy thing and from the looks of thother postings on this web site its becoming like DIY is to the home, something everyone wants to do, yet with no purpose other then its good to do. :)

Thanks for the tips so far...

P

Taran 11:53 09 Feb 04

Tables are, in fact, ne the the easiest and certainly the best ways of laying out your web.

Controlling their layout takes practice, like anything.

Take a look at the Dreamweaver help files for instruction s and information on creating tables. You can, quite literally, draw your table layout as you would like it to appear on the page and each individual cell of a table may be formatted differently to its neighbour - this includes background colours, font size, colour and type and all kinds of other things.

Tables for html pages are the mainstay of the web and althout moves are being made to ditch them in favour of CSS controlled layouts, browser interpretation of CSS means your layouts can become mangled so tables are still your best bet and will be for some time.

Some general Dreamweaver tutorials for you:

click here

click here

And don't forget the Macromedia Developer Centre, full to the brim of tutorials, solution examples and a lot of excellent resource information:

click here

If you come unstuck post again. One or two of us in here know a little bit about Dreamweaver...

;o)

Paroxetine 12:02 09 Feb 04

Superb, thanks for those links, wil check them all out. Trouble is that I keep getting stuck with what I am asking for in the searches on teh DW site so its just as painful looking up things as it is to make the site.

Anyhow, am progressing and thanks for the advice.

Will resolve this thread.

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…