Dreaded McAfee

I have been asked to look at a friends machine, it has had them pulling their hair out and I have to say mine as well. I found: After uninstalling McAfee anti virus, manually removing traces left behind, whenever any changes are made to any of the software or operating enviroment (cant update IE for instance) eg desktop, themes etc, windows says registry corrupt and restores previous version, ignoring changes. It also says COMCTL32.DLL wrong version (5.81) which AFAIK is ok. Have tried stopping scanreg, but to no avail. Seem to be going round in circles. No obvious signs of virus activity, but unable to do any other checks. System running: WIN 98 SE

beeuuem 02:00 27 Apr 03

Have you run System File Checker? Always a good first point of call.

hugh-265156 02:05 27 Apr 03

think COMCTL32 is motorolla modem drivers

hugh-265156 02:07 27 Apr 03

also found this click here not sure maybe sombody else can help

penny 02:33 27 Apr 03

Also had many problems with McAfee software, methinks best left alone. Sorry it is a bit late now.

artist 12:12 27 Apr 03

I also had a problem after uninstalling Mcafee. Went into 'search' and took all the 'bits' out. The error messages got worse and worse and finally the comp was unusable.Had to call in a technician - he said that because Macafee came with the W98 package - parts of it were basic to the whole thing working. So I had totally messed up the registry. Chappie reformatted the disc for me - I'm not that confident - and all was well, for a while. Got XP now and use AVG. No more problems. Good Luck Gazzer 99!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…