Dreaded BLUE SCREEN

Abel 05:58 27 Sep 08

My neighbour’s machine boots OK but after a while there’s an audible click and the dreaded blue screen appears. The screen, as well as being blue, displays what looks like a small multi-coloured bar code and there’s a much larger vertical ‘stripe’ down the screen too. With overheating in mind, I’ve checked and cleaned dust from the casing and all fans. Also, the case, CPU and PSU fans are all working properly. With no other ideas of what the problem could be, I booted the machine in Safe Mode but again, after a short while, the blue screen appeared. Can anyone help please?

zarobian 07:01 27 Sep 08

Is there any fan on the graphic card,if you have one. See if it is running.If all ok go to the manufacturer of your graphic card site and down load updated driver if available.
Also try to reseat this card.
Perhaps some other member will contribute shortly to solve your problem.

'Z'

Abel 07:12 27 Sep 08

Thanks for your suggestion zarobian but the graphics are an integral part of the mobo and not a separate card. When submitting my original post I omitted to say that the OS is XP Pro SP2. That's all I know about the machine because my neighbour's too novice to know much else.

Abel 10:58 27 Sep 08

Pondering on zarobian's response, the thought occurs to me that the problem could well be the on-board graphics. There are three PCI slots available, could I use one of these to install a graphics card?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:45 27 Sep 08

There are three PCI slots available, could I use one of these to install a graphics card?

yes but be careful of the difference between PCI (white) and PCIe express oftn used for graphics cards.

Abel 11:54 27 Sep 08

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\.The PCI slots are simply described as 32-bit add on card slots, in the mobo handbook. I've just noticed that there's also an AGP Accelerated Graphics Port Slot. Should this be the one I use?

Abel 13:52 27 Sep 08

Thanks to Fruit Bat /\0/\ I came to realise what the AGP slot was for. I removed a graphics card from another of my computers and put it into the offending machine. All worked well until all of a sudden the whole thing froze. Prior to this, there were some wavy effects in the screens background. It got through the detecting hard drive bit, an booted to the 'Welcome' screen then stopped. I'm sure someone knows the answer to the problem, but maybe my BLUE SCREEN heading is off putting

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:09 27 Sep 08

You will need to disable onboard graphics in the BIOS and also load the graphics drivers for your new card.

Abel 15:16 27 Sep 08

Thanks again Fruit Bat /\0/\. How do I get into the BIOS with the computer freezing?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:24 27 Sep 08

BIOS is enter immediately the machine is switched on, look for a message on the screen "Press ?? to enter setup..."

?? can be del esc or An F key depending on manufacture

Abel 16:42 27 Sep 08

Just had a bit-of-a-stint in the garden and feeling quite bushed to start having another go this-evening. I've got to swap over the graphics card again plus the wiring etc so will have another go tomorrow. As you can see from the time of my original post, I've been up since early this-morning. In any event I'll keep you posted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…