dreaded blue screen

dapa 11:24 22 Mar 04

can anyone out there help me? I have just built a new computer and every so often while i am using it the dreaded blue screen comes up with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL comes up I am running windows xp. could this be a bios setup problem?

Diodorus Siculus 11:30 22 Mar 04

dapa - it could be anything. What is the rest of the message?

I would suggest that you check that all drivers are up to date, that you run only the very basics at startup, and that you defrag regularly.

Running the system file checker may also help:

start

run

sfc /scannow

anon1 12:13 22 Mar 04
  swiss$tony 12:38 22 Mar 04

I had a similar problem running a new pc with win 2000 pro. The pc would reboot 2 or 3 times for no reason then up would come the blue screen with the same message, but would also read "beginning physical dump" running various checkers indicated no viruses were present.

I had pc cillin installed as a freebie(for 3 months) with the set up disks. When the time came to subscribe I chose not to and installed Zone Alarm. On installing ZA a message informed me about known conflicts between ZA and pc cillin and recommended uninstalling pc cillin.This I did and...........lo, no more unexplained reboots and no blue screens, don't know if this will be of any help but it worked for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…