drama's

im trying to connect another laptop to my network.
i already have a desktop and another laptop connected both using xp home sp2.
ive run the netsetup disk on the 3rd computer but still doesnt connect. ive tried to ping it from the other computers but still no joy.
ive put in its ip address in the connection properties and made the subnet mask the same as the others. the physical connection is there at 100 but i just cant ping the machine. in the tcp/ip settings ive also enabled netBIOS over tcp/ip like the other machines but still having no joy. Ive run the network setup wizard endless times and tried everthing it asks in trouble shooter. Just cant figure it out.
i can share all folders in the other two machines but the third one just doesnt. the network device is fine and working properly. i have even tried rolling back the drivers andy ideas.

mgmcc 21:32 10 Dec 05

How are you connecting the three computers - with a network hub/switch or a router?

How do the computers get their IP addresses - manually configured or by DHCP (which would require either a router or that Internet Connection sharing is enabled on a "host" PC)?

Have you configured any firewall software to allow access to the new PC?

im using a ethernet hub
i manually configured the ip address (from ipconfig on cmd
on the firewalls all the ip address used are added as safe onto each machine.

mgmcc 23:13 10 Dec 05

What IP addresses have you used in the three computers and what Subnet Mask?

Have you set at least one folder as "shared" in the new PC? By default, "File & Printer Sharing" is disabled in Windows XP, but if you set a folder as "shared" you may be prompted to enable "File & Printer Sharing" if it hasn't already been enabled (e.g. by running the Network Wizard).

If there is no internet involvement (which requires TCP/IP protocol) in the network, you could try using IPX/SPX protocol instead. This doesn't need configuring like TCP/IP and isn't affected by firewalls.

To install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the General tab, click the Install button. In the next box, highlight Protocol and click Add. Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and click OK.

Forum Editor 00:10 11 Dec 05

has its own DCHP server, and if you use this on a machine with internet connection sharing ernables you should configure all other 'client' machines to obtain an IP address automatically.

As mgmcc says, if you aren't using ICS you could try the IPX/SPX protocol instead, but almost everyone who sets up a home network these days is also sharing a broadband internet connection, so TCP/IP applies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…