Drag and drop files from old slave to new master?

cyberphobic 23:26 16 Jan 05

I am trying to transfer the contents of my old 10GB HDD across to a new 80GB HDD (both XP PRO)on a newly built PC. Can I just change the jumper setting on the old HDD and insert it into the new PC and then just drag all the files across? I can't use File and Settings wizard as the old PC has no network card or means of connecting it to a network.

ashdav 23:31 16 Jan 05

I've done this. It should work ok. Make sure you set your original drive as slave and use copy file not move file until you're sure they've been transfered. You would be better identifying the destination folder rather than just dragging and dropping.

THE TERMINATOR 23:59 16 Jan 05

When you have installed your old HDD on your new system, open MY COMPUTER and right click your C:(new)drive and choose explore. As your folder names should be identical(they are both XP) you can just drag from your D:drive and drop onto your C:drive without any probs(just don't copy too much across at a time)....TT

cyberphobic 09:15 17 Jan 05

I have dragged the files across as discussed (created a new file on the C drive and dragged everything across to that, apart from Documents and Settings and Program Files which I dragged across to the folders of the same name)I have rebooted, but although the files which I dragged to the new folder are there, the others are not. Should everything go to the new folder and will they all then be recognised ( new programmes for instance) or do I need to do something different?

cyberphobic 13:32 17 Jan 05

refresh

Diemmess 16:47 17 Jan 05

I wonder if there is a misapprehension here........ I know that some of the advantages of XP are that it will do things that earlier Windows will not, but am I correct that you have installed Windows XP on the new computer, and are trying to avoid installing all the applications individually, by dragging and dropping?

If I have guessed right, then you may be in trouble with a confusion of either duplicated files and folders, or ones that configured the old computer having overwritten the new one's OS.

Make sure that the new computer is functioning properly in detail before you move any more.

Applications (all the major ones anyway) have to be installed from the CD so that Windows can register every part and "index" the components in the right places.

You will be fine just copying data like pictures, documents and small stand-alone files like some of the files you have downloaded and saved as such.

cyberphobic 22:19 17 Jan 05

If I begin at the beginning.......... I have an HP Pavilion 6620 with a 10gb hdd with XP PRO, I also have a newly built PC (Athlon 1600, 256MB DDR memory, 80GB HDD XP PRO). The HP Pavilion has several years worth of programs, emails (Outlook Express) documents and files on it which I would like to transfer across to the new HDD on the new PC. I have put the old (10GB) HDD in the new PC as slave and dragged and dropped documents and photos across to the 80GB drive but I know I can't drag prograns across. What I would really like to do (if possible) is to mirror the old HDD on to new HDD in it's entirety (but if I do that it won't boot as it will not have the correct edrivers loaded)Suggestions please

THE TERMINATOR 22:51 17 Jan 05

The problem with dragging your programs from one drive to the new one, is that they were not installed on that drive and therefore do not have any reference in the registry. Two things you can do if you dont have the original disks for the programs on your old drive is to copy the whole lot across and then re-install XPpro to your new drive without changing it's structure. To do this you will have to boot from the XP cd-rom and use the recovery console, or install XPpro on your old drive, and dual boot for which programs you want to use(ie old drive or new drive)....TT

THE TERMINATOR 22:59 17 Jan 05

Just a thought, if you can still boot up from your old drive, then boot up from this(it will mean changing the IDE cables on your mobo)format the new drive and copy all the info across from old to new. Now change the IDE cables over and your 80 gig drive should boot up with you OS and programs on it, ready to use. All you need to do then is re-install your new drivers(you should have the disks for these)....TT

THE TERMINATOR 23:01 17 Jan 05

If you don't format the old HDD you can use this as back-up until your new system is running ok....TT

THE TERMINATOR 23:04 17 Jan 05

If there is programs on your new 80 gig drive that you don't have the cd's for and still want to use them, then your only option is to dual boot....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…