Dr Watson & 100% CPU usage

osben 13:52 14 Nov 04

I have just updated AVG antivirus to AVG7 and updated Sygate firewall, both free editions. I now find that my CPU usage is almost 100% and I can't seem to stop this. The sysyem is very very very slow.

I am not sure that it was these updates but I can't think of anything else I did to cause this.

I have deleted the AVG anti virus and Sygate Firewall and rebooted hoping that the problem would right itself but it still continues.

The programme Dr Watson (drwtsn32.exe) seems to be taking all the cpu usage but it doesn't show in Windows Task Manager applications.

Can anyone help resolve the conflict and do I realy need this programme at all. If not how do I disable it.

User-312386 14:44 14 Nov 04

To Disable Dr. Watson

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit.exe in the Open box, and then click OK
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ AeDebug

NOTE: Steps three and four are optional, but they necessary if you want to restore the default use of Dr. Watson.
3. Click the AeDebug key, and then click Export Registry File on the Registry menu.

4. Enter a name and location for the saved registry file, and then click Save.

5. Delete the AeDebug key.

click here;en-us;188296

User-312386 14:48 14 Nov 04
  Robotic_Rob 16:04 14 Nov 04

At what temperature does a Intel P4 Hyper-Threading proccesor turn its self off? As i know that it turns itseld off if it gets too hot and my computer has been restartin a few times in the past couple of months. So im just inquiring just in case its that.

Also what sort of temperature does your computers run at if your ever monitor it?

Robotic_Rob 16:06 14 Nov 04

sorry, i thought i clicked on new topic then.

osben 10:38 15 Nov 04

Thanks for your suggestions.

It seems to have sorted the CPU usage problems.
The Sygate firewall update was what caused it, no idea why.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had the same problem with the v5.6 update. All I get on bootup is an SMC.exe application error scree with:

"the instruction 0x054a2b75 referred memory at 0x0000000c memory could not be read. Check OK to terminate the program"

Doesn't happen with the prvious 5.5 version

Thanks again Madboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…