Downloads-where should i put them ?

dagbladet 19:08 25 Aug 03

What with anti-viruses, firewall and spyware checkers and the like, I've been doing a fair bit of downloading recently.My machine automatically choses to send them to "my documents". I would appreciate any views as to wether they should be going somewhere else, or does it not really matter ?

bremner 19:11 25 Aug 03

I can't see that it matters where you put them - but it is essential that like all important data you back it up.

jaygice 19:11 25 Aug 03

no put them where you want there should be a box or a browse click on it and you can choose where to put them or make a new folder

spikeychris 19:12 25 Aug 03

Updates will find their own way home, as for the run of the mill downloads I always use the desktop.

powerless 19:12 25 Aug 03

Does not matter.

Anywhere will do.

When you download the files you can change where they will be downlaoded to.

You could create a folder named "Downloads" send them' all to that folder.

-pops- 19:19 25 Aug 03

I take it that when you've downloaded them to wherever they go that you then install them?

Sorry if that seems a bit obvious but I know of someone who was doing loads of downloads and then just leaving them in My Documents without going through an installation procedure.

dagbladet 19:24 25 Aug 03

No Pops, thats a valid question. I (usually) do install them, but when i go into "my documents" its absolutelly massive. Apart from Windows and stuff that automatically loads,everything is in there. I really don't know any other part of my hard drive except "my documents"

-pops- 19:33 25 Aug 03

OK. What I do with downloads is if they are freebies, I delete the download after installing. If I need to reinstall for any reason, I'll get the latest version from the website. With paid-for downloads, I copy them to CD and write the license code/product key/all the necessaries on the sleeve or case. I then put the CD in a very safe place.

I also keep a copy of all drivers on my hard drive in click here

Legolas 20:00 25 Aug 03

I download to my desktop then after I have installed the software I put the download into a folder I have created imaginatively called 'downloads' and the program icon I put into another folder I created again imaginatively called 'programmes' both folders have been created on my desktop. This way I can keep my desktop tidy and I know where everything is.

dagbladet 20:01 25 Aug 03

Right I'll just download that to.......
but seriously, nice one. I see what you mean as well about binning them once they are downloaded. I'm one of those people who keep everything just in case.

kortical Implant 20:17 25 Aug 03

i find it good practice to make a folder called 'holder' and download anything that i download into it.

after i have checked it etc i move it to the appropriate folder in my folder list,eg music,pictures etc. that way it keeps everthing nice and tidy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…