Downloads from Internet

Simsy 23:41 20 Dec 04

Hi folks,

I've just installed a second HDD on my son's PC. When I built it, nearly 3 years ago, I partitioned the original HDD, and set things up such that OS and progs were installed on "C" and everything else, i.e. data, temp internet files etc, went onto "D"

Now I've put this extra HDD in, it has become "D", and the 2nd partition has become "E"

I've no problems with that and understand why...

However, he has a folder appearing on "D" called "Downloads from Internet". This is obviously a system folder, that I set up to be on "D" when I built it and set it up, (or it would atomatically be on "C"),... but I can't remember, or fathom out, how I did it, because I now want it to be on "E"

I've looked in all the obvious places to cahnge the setting but can't find it.

Can anyone help?

OS is Win98se

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

TomJerry 00:00 21 Dec 04

do not know how to do it in win98SE, easy to do it in XP and 2k.

best way is to use partition magic

PSF 00:09 21 Dec 04

If I read this correctly you want all the downloads to go to 'E' "Downloads from Internet".

The way I do it is to make a folder on the new drive, 'E' in your case, start to download something from the internet, when windows ask where to copy the files point to your new folder, E:Downloads from Internet. All the downloads will then automatically make that their first choice of destination.

THE TERMINATOR 01:32 21 Dec 04

Are you sure it's not the temporary internet files, folder? If so then in IE choose Tools menu>internet options>Temp Internet files setings>Move folder....TT

GaT7 01:43 21 Dec 04

If PSF has understood you correctly but his/her suggestion doesn't work every time, navigate to this key in the Registry*:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Right-click 'Download Directory' in the right pane & select 'Modify'. In the box type: 'E:\Downloads from Internet' (without the quotes) & press OK. All downloads done with IE should now be offered to be saved in this directory by default. G

*To open the Registry editor: Start -> Run. Type: 'regedit' (without the quotes) & press OK.

Simsy 11:11 21 Dec 04

Yes, PSF has read this correctly...

What i also DONT want to happen is have the folder "Downloads from Internet" be created on the "D" drive everytime Windows starts, (which is what is currently happening).

I shall try your suggestions and report back.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 11:27 21 Dec 04

The suggestions offered didn't solve it, but the registry was where the solution lay...

I did a search for "Downloads from Internet" in the registry and found that the folder in question, (i.e. D:\Downloads from Internet), was the chosen location in the registry for downloads using both Media Player and DownloadDemon.

Changing these to E has solved it.

Thanks for the input,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…