Downloads don't download - they just dissappear!

Stressed Mum 16:43 06 Aug 06

I have been trying for many days now to try and open/save a download but once it has finished transferring the data (close box unmarked) it just dissappears - nothing opens and when I try same to save and select save file - there is no trace of it whatsoever. This is also happening with Windows defender updats and AVG updates - it feels to me that there is a block on the system somewhere but I have been unable to trace this at all - any suggestions.? Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 06 Aug 06

Defender and AVG updates are saved to the relevant folders and you do not need to do anything with them as they update the programs automatically.

Other files you download will be saved depending on what browsewr you use IE6? Firefox?

click here does this look familiar?

wee eddie 17:06 06 Aug 06

When you click on the download request, what happens next?

Automated Updates to programs, already on the PC such as Windows or Anti Virus, normally install themselves without further announcement.

Stressed Mum 17:10 06 Aug 06

Thank you both - Firstly the Windows Defender upgrade - when I click all the links I still get a reminder that an upgrade is needed - this has beenhappening for over a month now. AVG says that the upgrade was unsuccessful and I need to restart the computer. Each time I do this I get the same message. The file download is as shown in your link - but it simply goes nowhere - I change it to received files, my documents or other - but there is no trace of it at all. I can do the same download on other pc's in the house - but not mine!!

Forum Editor 17:13 06 Aug 06

In your browser you'll be prompted to define an action - either to run the file, or to save it.

If you select 'run' you'll be prompted a second time, when the download is complete, and the installer will then run the fle from the temporary download location.

If you select the 'save' option you'll be asked to specify a location for the download. You can accept the default, but many people find it easier to create a special folder somewhere on their hard drive - it could be in My Documents if you like - called 'downloads' or whatever you like. Then, within that folder you can create a separate folder for each download. It's a neat and tidy way of working; once the dwnload hs completed you can go to the relevant flder, click on the file icon for the dwnload, and watch the installer as it unpacks the file and proceeds with the installation.

Updates are usually different as the others have said - they install themselves automatically, and you shouldn't interfere with that process in any way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 06 Aug 06

Start - Run - type services.msc - click OK

scroll down to Background Intelligent transfer, does it show as "started"?

Stressed Mum 17:18 06 Aug 06

ok - thanks - done the run and yes it does say started. The auot upgrades are obviously not upgrading as i keep getting a prompt to do so even after apparently upgrading and the AVG just simply will not upgrade. The filmes I am download do not give me a promt to open after downloading nor does it save in the selcted file (either one I have chosen or otherwise) It simply just flys off the screen without race.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 06 Aug 06

Perhaps a repair of XP / Internet Explorer is needed.

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

(watch the space before the / )
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Stressed Mum 17:26 06 Aug 06

windonws was preinstalled so I don't believe I have a cd - sounds a bit scarey!!

Stressed Mum 17:36 06 Aug 06

The scannow looks very interesting - but without full support from someone close by |I don't think I'd want to run this - have checked and it is in hidden files but that may not be the end of it according to the source link. I'd be happier if I had the CD

wee eddie 17:36 06 Aug 06

And could you give us a few more details about the PC.

although this knowledge is not essential it might point someone in the right direction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…