Downloads

bobkikos 17:24 24 Aug 09

Since installing IE8 on my laptop, which runs Vista Premium, every time I download a file either through IE8 or Firefox I am unable to detect it on my hard drive. I have displayed hidden files etc., but to no avail. Downloads are listed in Firefox but I cannot open them.

Any ideas?

rawprawn 17:31 24 Aug 09

What have you set downloads to in Firefox?

GaT7 20:16 24 Aug 09

Each time you download a file in IE you get a 'Save As' applet. Make a note of where the file is being saved.

As rawprawn says, the FF setting for the location of downloaded files can be viewed under FF > Tools > Options > Main > Downloads. Also right-clicking the download in the Firefox Downloads applet & selecting 'Open Containing Folder' will open the 'downloads' folder. G

GaT7 20:18 24 Aug 09

If it's Vista, it's usually the 'Downloads' folder by default isn't it? Not sure as I use WinXP, but it may be similar to Win7? G

bobkikos 13:39 25 Aug 09

Files downloaded under Firefox go to Desktop>Downloads. The Firefox applet shows the downloads as being completed butthey cannot be opened.

GaT7 14:38 25 Aug 09

That's a strange one. Because if there's a problem with the new IE8 install, it shouldn't affect FF, which is a completely separate entity.

Have you tried clearing Internet Cache in both browsers?

Does a download manager make a difference, e.g. Orbit Downloader click here? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now