Downloads

hiredagent 17:44 24 Oct 04

I want to make certain files downloadable from my site but I don't know how. I use Macromedia dreamweaver MX and I upload using FTP. Please will someone help!!!

Taran 18:22 24 Oct 04

Create a folder in your web directory structure and call it downloads. Place a copy of the file(s) you want people to be able to download in this folder, and then create a hyperlink to the file as normal.

Depending on the file extension of the download and the computer it is being viewed on, it will either open up in the web browser (Word and Adobe Acrobat documents sometimes do this) or there will be a prompt for the computer user to open or save the file.

So, put all download files into a folder in your web and use a logical name for the folder, then create your hyperlink to the file. The web browser will do the rest.

Don't forget that certain downloads are best accompanied with a warning of some description. For example, for an executable file it is best to warn your site visitors clearly what it is they are downloading and whether you have checked it for virus infection.

Forum Editor 19:34 24 Oct 04

is that your hosting package will almost certainly come with a bandwidth limit, and this will be eroded once people start downloading files. If they aren't paying for them and enough of them do it you can be faced with some hefty excess bandwidth charges, so watch those file sizes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…