Downloading XP Service Pack 3

Allan RISC OS user 13:40 06 Apr 08

I read with interest that we are shortly to be able to install the above, but it will not be possible to save it to disc and re install from that location should a complete re-install of the OS becomes necessary.

We will have to down load it again and again each time we need it.

However, I have also read one this and other sites that if we are prepared to edit the registry we will be able to download and save the service pack and keep it for future use, but no where have I seen how this can be done, can any one out there help?

sunny staines 13:53 06 Apr 08

sp1 vista comming out free with computer mags next month, hopefully xp sp3 will also follow.

cocteau48 14:24 06 Apr 08

You do not require Service Pack three in its entirety as it contains all the updates which have been issued since SP2 and if you have been keeping tour machine up to date then you will already have most of them.
What you do is download the 38K registry script from here:
click here
just unzipping it installs it into your registry and you then go to the normal MS update page and allow it to scan for updates.
The script will allow the update site to select only those bits of SP3 which are relevant to your set up.
The full SP3 pack is around 336MB.In my case,after using the reg script,the download came down to only65MB.
If you do want to download the entire 336MB you can do so from the likes of MajorGeeks.

Stuartli 16:02 06 Apr 08

I downloaded the latest SP3 Beta when it was launched and then burned it to a CD-R for use on other systems if necessary.

If you do install it ensure you do a full defrag afterwards.

Re the Registry script: I added this to the (multisession) CD-R containing SP3 Beta.

Batch 18:37 06 Apr 08

If you scroll down the page linked to by cocteau48 it (appears to) offer the ability to download the full XP SP3.

Allan RISC OS user 10:18 09 Apr 08

Thanks for all the help.

I have down loaded from Major Greeks and all appears ok.

Allan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos