Downloading without authorisation!!

spuds 11:52 09 Sep 08

Hit a problem this morning, which I hope can soon be remedied.

Turned on computer and at the start-up phase saw a 'Microsoft' shield icon in the tool-bar. Clicking on the icon it showed that it was downloading something (!). Further clicking failed to provide a screen response as to what was happening like it would have done on previous occasions. After the download was complete (very slow), the computer as gone rather sluggish, plus the hard-drive activity light seems to be on overtime (constant flickering or staying constantly on for short periods).

Shut down the system and rebooted, and icon reappeared with what seems to be another 'beginning' start of a slow download procedure. Would point out that on previous occasions I have 'customise' any downloads, and have been asked for authorisation before doing so.

The download seems to take about 12 minutes, possibly much more to compete.

Have checked the system with the usual security and protection programmes, and all clear with no problems are showing!.

Help would be gladly appreciated.

Technotiger 11:56 09 Sep 08

Right-clicking on the shield should show that there are Microsoft Updates ready, and to choose whether to download/install.

spuds 12:10 09 Sep 08

Technotiger-- Thats the problem, clicking on the icon, either right or left gives no response, except to inform me that there is a (%)percentage download in progress.

I think that the problem might now be resolved(!) we shall see. Whilst responding to this thread, the icon which stated download had completed, disappeared then as now reappeared, informing me that the 'updates are ready for you computer-click here to install these updates'.

Possibly very slow and long download (!), and me becoming over impatient!.

Strawballs 12:18 09 Sep 08

M/S updates are downloaded automatically (if it is set for automatic updates) then it asks for permission to install.

spuds 12:18 09 Sep 08

Apparently the Microsoft download was for Windows XP Service Pack 3 KB936929 (64Mb). Download informations click here

Technotiger 12:23 09 Sep 08

Right, SP3 is pretty big download, hence the time taken.

Stuartli 12:44 09 Sep 08

Some other programs have a self updating facility (if configured to do so) that have a similar yellow icon to that of Microsoft.

The vast majority of Microsoft updates are on the second Tuesday of each month (i.e. as in the case of today).

Stuartli 12:45 09 Sep 08

You can check if SP3 has been installed by right clicking on My Computer>Properties.General tab.

Stuartli 12:45 09 Sep 08

You can check if SP3 has been installed by right clicking on My Computer>Properties.General tab.

spuds 15:52 09 Sep 08

Since my last response at 12.10 I noticed a couple of minor problems. Through the process of the final 'authorised' installation, it stated the usual message that you can carry on working during the installation procedure, but for an unknown reason (!) the system prevented me from carrying on with other work, and IE7, one of the browsers in use crashed.

A few adjustments and all now seems well, so I suspect it was due to my impatience and the slow download.

The link I supplied is incorrect, put ,co instead of .com, so heres the correct link (!) click here

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Will now tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…