Downloading Windows Updates Seperately.

C3 17:28 01 Sep 10

Rather than making a SP3 Slipstream disc, I was looking for a way to download the Window Updates separately, then once I have done the initial SP3 install, put these updates wherever Windows stores its Windows Update downloads, run Windows Update and it just picks them up and installs them.

I can get a list of the KB numbers from a clean install using Windows Update, then use them on future XP installs.

I'm trying to do this to cut down the time it takes to install and setup a PC as I usually have to do 2 or 3 a day and I have a terrible internet connection where I work and it takes 5 hours to get an XP computer ready where it should only take a couple of hours with a decent connection.

I hope this makes sense!

If using nLite is easier, I'll give that a go, but I've not looked into exactly how you slipstream the KB updates into it so they work.

rawprawn 17:34 01 Sep 10

Not sure I know what you mean, but if you are re installing 2 or 3 a day, surely it would be better to create a slipstream disk that can be used on each install

birdface 18:18 01 Sep 10

Formatted Xp about a month back and put in the SP3 disc first and it would not accept it as SP2 was not installed.
Not sure if that is what normally happens or not.

C3 18:51 01 Sep 10

I sometimes have to do these reinstalls offsite and I don't always have all my stuff with me. Having the updates saved on the USB drive seperately would help lots, especially in areas where their internet sucks (there are still a lot of people round here on Dialup!). I just need to know where to put these files so when Windows Update is run, it finds them and installs them, rather than downloading them from the MS server.

C3 18:54 01 Sep 10

Oh, I am doing the initial install using an XP SP3 CD, (either OEM or VLK depending on the PC) so the install is already done.
I'm just looking for a way to put the already downloaded Updates into wherever Windows Updates normally download to so Windows Updates says "hey, the files are already here, we don't need to download them" and just installs what it needs.

T0SH 20:15 01 Sep 10

You can download all of the important Windows updates from here

click here

On XP installs I did one yesterday on a Dell using the Dell XP Operating System CD version SP1a, when it completed I feed it a CD with SP3 on it a few minutes later it asked for a reboot when back to a desktop following a right click properties on my computer it reports as SP3

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced