downloading win xp updates

w.squirrel 09:50 18 Jun 03

I've been trying to resolve my pc freezing on shutdown.

I was reading the threads last night and saw some advice to install win xp updates. I downloaded them - it took over 3 hrs! After installing them I didn't have the shutdown problem, at least not that time.

Any ideas what was causing the problem, and any opinions on the updates?

Andsome 10:17 18 Jun 03

I cannot answer your question, but you have to ask yourself why do Microsoft offer the updates? They obviously come across problems which may occur on some computers with certain other software installed, and offer a solution. I download ALL critical updates, but am very selective regarding the other updates, many of which are of no use to me.

w.squirrel 12:04 18 Jun 03

Thanks for your response. That was the first time I've downloaded the updates - should I have switched off my firewall while I was downloading? (I didn't)

Gaz 25 13:14 18 Jun 03

Should not make any difference.

I had a shutdown, and it was a hardware problem.

leo49 13:59 18 Jun 03

No,you did the right thing by leaving your firewall running.

As for updates always read the blurb to ensure that the fix [critical or not]is relevant to your situation.eg,It's pointless installing something intended for a multi-user or network environment if one is the sole user of a stand-alone PC.

Regards

Andsome 08:47 19 Jun 03

I agree. I always leave the firewall on whatever I'm downloading. As I stated I always install the critical updates, but very carefully check as to what I may need from the suggested updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…