Downloading programmmes

TonyW2 09:07 20 Apr 08

Very basic, but I am having problems!
When downloading a program, a message requests "Do you want to save or run". Which do I need, to keep it for future use
Another asks "where to save it."
I want it to appear in my Start/All Program list ready for future use.Where should I specify
and how do i make programs that are already on the pc appear here?(I have found related folders with .exe extensions in various places. Should I delete these once the program is working, or move them to another location.)
Can somebody point me to an instruction and explanation guide, please.

ICF 09:48 20 Apr 08

If you save the program then you have it for future use if you run it you just install it and don't have it for future use.
I always download to my desktop so they can be easily found then moved them to a folder of my choice.Don't delete or move things if you don't know what they are.

birdface 10:26 20 Apr 08

If not sure you are downloading from a safe site.Save it.Download it either to your desktop or my documents and don't run.Once there check it with your Anti-Virus + Spyware program to make sure that it has no virus's and then run it.You could open a new Folder in my documents and just print downloaded programs or something like that on it and save them there.

TonyW2 10:49 20 Apr 08

Tx so far.
How do I then make it show in the available program list for when I click Start/All programs? (using XP)
Is the related .exe file just an temporary installation file,that i can delete later or is it the actual program file?

isca2 11:06 20 Apr 08

When you click on the .exe file that you have saved, you will sometimes be given the choice as to where to run it from. In most cases, this will be the program directory on your C: drive. This will then show in your Programs list. Do not delete the saved .exe file as this will contain all the files that will be installed on your computer.

TonyW2 12:57 20 Apr 08

Still not succeeding, so as an example;-
I have d/l Opera as an alternative browser to I/E. A shortcut appeared on my desktop but this is the only method to access it when wishing to start the program. I would prefer it not to appear on the desktop. If I delete the
desktop shortcut, I have no access.

In Local disc/program files there are folders, including I/E and Opera.

If I click START then All-Programs, a list appears and this includes I/E, but not Opera. I want to make it show.

Sea Urchin 13:59 20 Apr 08

Assuming you're using XP right click on Start button, and click Open - in the Start Menu that opens you will see a folder named Programs. Take hold of the Opera shortcut on your desktop and drag in into the folder and drop - now it will appear on the list.

TonyW2 15:08 20 Apr 08

TX Sea urchin. It did indeed.
Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…