Downloading Problems

chikara2100 19:51 29 Jul 03

I'm quite new to pc's and i already have a problem and a question to ask.

Why is it that some programs download successfully and others do not.
I keep getting the same nessage which is........
Connection to proxy failed...
(Err: The requested address is not valid in its context.
While trying to download(Program Name)
Can anyone please help me because i would like to download important programs and files but i cannot do so at present.

Many thanks

Chikara2100

Valvegrid 21:31 29 Jul 03

I've been trying to have a look at the Microsoft site for you, but I've had to give in. Can you give us a little more information please, like what Operating system are you using? And can you give an example of the site your trying to download from.

Thanks

Paul.

Valvegrid 06:39 31 Jul 03

Received by email from chikara2100:

"I have trouble downloading most sites.
Only a few will download at all.I am using Download Accelerator which usually works okay but lately i cannot seem to download anything at all except selected sites.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions please.

Details:

Patriot Hard Drive 256Mb RAM.
Pentuim 4 Processor 2.00Ghz.
Windows XP."

I notice you are on NTL, are you on Broadband or dialup?

Paul.

Randum Ian 09:50 31 Jul 03

Instead of using Download Accelerator why don't you give something like GetRight a trial. This is a download manager that allows you to carry on the download if it was stopped for any reason. I think with NTL I have heard of a lot of Server Connection Reset errors which could be what you are experiencing.

TommyRed 12:11 31 Jul 03

I have download accelerator plus and it also allows 'resume' on downloads where the connection has been broken. This happens to me quite frequently as my ISP breaks the connection after 2 hours.
TR

david4637 17:16 31 Jul 03

Why don't you try downloading without an accelerator to see whether its that, thats causing the problem. I dont use one unless it would take more than two hours to download. Regards David

chikara2100 22:23 31 Jul 03

Many thanks for the info guys,i will try everything you suggested.
Please wish me luck,and by the way,i am on NTL Broadband so i never have any normal disconnection problems.lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch