Downloading Problems

chikara2100 19:51 29 Jul 03

I'm quite new to pc's and i already have a problem and a question to ask.

Why is it that some programs download successfully and others do not.
I keep getting the same nessage which is........
Connection to proxy failed...
(Err: The requested address is not valid in its context.
While trying to download(Program Name)
Can anyone please help me because i would like to download important programs and files but i cannot do so at present.

Many thanks

Chikara2100

Valvegrid 21:31 29 Jul 03

I've been trying to have a look at the Microsoft site for you, but I've had to give in. Can you give us a little more information please, like what Operating system are you using? And can you give an example of the site your trying to download from.

Thanks

Paul.

Valvegrid 06:39 31 Jul 03

Received by email from chikara2100:

"I have trouble downloading most sites.
Only a few will download at all.I am using Download Accelerator which usually works okay but lately i cannot seem to download anything at all except selected sites.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions please.

Details:

Patriot Hard Drive 256Mb RAM.
Pentuim 4 Processor 2.00Ghz.
Windows XP."

I notice you are on NTL, are you on Broadband or dialup?

Paul.

Randum Ian 09:50 31 Jul 03

Instead of using Download Accelerator why don't you give something like GetRight a trial. This is a download manager that allows you to carry on the download if it was stopped for any reason. I think with NTL I have heard of a lot of Server Connection Reset errors which could be what you are experiencing.

TommyRed 12:11 31 Jul 03

I have download accelerator plus and it also allows 'resume' on downloads where the connection has been broken. This happens to me quite frequently as my ISP breaks the connection after 2 hours.
TR

david4637 17:16 31 Jul 03

Why don't you try downloading without an accelerator to see whether its that, thats causing the problem. I dont use one unless it would take more than two hours to download. Regards David

chikara2100 22:23 31 Jul 03

Many thanks for the info guys,i will try everything you suggested.
Please wish me luck,and by the way,i am on NTL Broadband so i never have any normal disconnection problems.lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…