Downloading pdf files from Net

Severn Bore 12:23 19 Dec 03

Hi
For some reason I am no longer able to view and download pdf files from the Internet. All I get is a logo in the top right of the browser window like a rectangle containing a triangle, square and ball in different colours. I have been using IE6 for a considerable time and have not changed the security settings. I also have the latest version of Adobe pdf reader.
Any ideas please?

minter 12:34 19 Dec 03

Have you tried uninstalling Acrobat Reader and then re-installing it.

It may have been corrupted by something or other.

MAJ 12:35 19 Dec 03

I had trouble with the new version of Adobe Reader 6, so much so that I had to revert to using version 5, Severn Bore. Have you set the correct options in Reader 6 by unticking "Display PDF in Browser" at Edit > Preferences?

Taw® 13:27 19 Dec 03

I had similar reaction and after uninstall and install all back to normal

Wak 13:59 19 Dec 03

Hi, I don't think you can read a PDF file straight from the net unless the actual file contains Adobe Reader, which I very much doubt.
The best thing is to download the PDF file to your desktop and then open it with Adobe.
I've always found that the best way .

Severn Bore 15:31 19 Dec 03

Hi All
I checked settings and they were OK, so then reinstalled and all is now working. I failed to download acrobat 4 until after my first install of Acro 6. I suspect this corrupted the new install! Thanks for putting me on the right track.
Severn Bore

Wak 15:59 19 Dec 03

I would also add that PDF files written in the days of Acrobat 4 or earlier look for an .EXE file (acroread.exe) which has a different name in Acrobat 5 & 6 (AcroRd32.exe), therefore, an early PDF file may not be readable by Acrobat 5 & 6 as it can't find the file it's looking for.
The files still work the same, just the name is different.

Severn Bore 22:13 19 Dec 03

Thanks for the added info about earlier Acrobat versions. I was unaware of this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…