Downloading PCA Pages?

Bapou 18:42 29 Nov 06

For the past few days when downloading PC Advisor's website, the Home page opens promptly, choosing a forum to view does not, it takes ages. To pose this question, clicking 'Start New Subject' I had time to make a coffee before this box opened.

I'm on broadband, no connection problem. Recently upgraded to IE7 and found it can take longer to download not only PCA but some other bookmarked sites.

Is this a coincidence or one of IE7's problems? I appreciate it's a busy website but never experienced access to this extent.

Can someone cure my frustration please?

anskyber 18:46 29 Nov 06

I am on IE7 and I find that PCA loads very quickly. There are times during the day when it is very slow indeed in fact almost impossible to use it normally.

The slowness can occure for me about evey third day.

Stuartli 18:47 29 Nov 06

Downloading PCA pages has been slow on numerous occasions recently.

Bapou 21:54 29 Nov 06

Thanks for responding.

Second visit, certainly an improvement but opening some other websites is like being back on dial up. Coming back on line 15 minutes ago and my BTYahoo Browser, (IE7), was very slow to load.

Just feel there's something else involved and can't put a finger on it.

anskyber 22:37 29 Nov 06

MS say
"If you are having problems with Internet Explorer 7 hanging, crashing, silently closing or other bizarre behavior, an incompatible toolbar or other add-on maybe involved. The fastest way to determine if an add-on is causing the problem is to run Internet Explorer 7 with no add-ons. You can do this by going to Start, clicking All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and click Internet Explorer (No add-ons). This disables all add-ons from loading in that instance of Internet Explorer. If the problem goes away, you can manually disable specific add-ons to find the specific one causing the problem. Below are instructions on how to manually disable a specific toolbar and a list of known incompatible toolbars that can cause serious issues with Internet Explorer 7.

To disable a toolbar open Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

In Windows, click the Start button.
Click All Programs.
Click Accessories.
Click System Tools and then click Internet Explorer (No add-ons).
Once you determine the toolbar causing the issue, you should uninstall the toolbar through Add or Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel and then check the toolbar’s website for an updated version."

might be worth the try.

Bapou 23:41 29 Nov 06

Thanks for your help. I was not aware of this problem. I followed your advice in Accessories and found, "Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons."

I'm not actually using IE's browser itself, BTYahoo Broadband's own browser is my preference. This is IE related and automatically updated itself when installing IE7 from Automatic Updates.

It's late, will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks again.

Bapou 20:48 30 Nov 06

After a lot of disabling/enabling, closing all the addons, finally resolved the problem. Java Runtime Environment update 10 seemed the culprit.

Had installed this just before having bother, removed it and my frustration is cured.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos