Downloading MS SP's to cd instead of updating PC

Mark8882 08:21 16 Mar 04

I want to download the Microsoft IE6 service pack 1 to a cd rather than my PC. I need to update a machine which is having trouble accessing the update.

If i run the update directly from the CDROM it should fix the problem but I cannot remember how to download the files to a specific location

Diodorus Siculus 08:26 16 Mar 04

click here and download it.

Easiest way to find a direct link is to search with Google for what you are looking for.

Diodorus Siculus 08:27 16 Mar 04

PS is it just the service pack you want?

click here

Mark8882 08:30 16 Mar 04

yes this time i am after the ie6 sp1.

Stuartli 09:30 16 Mar 04

If you use a download utility such as FreshDownload (click here) you can download what you require to the Desktop or, as I do, to a FreshDownload folder with a Desktop shortcut, and then burn it to a CD-R using Nero.

This way you also keep a copy of the download in the folder for future use or as a backup. Just name the folder as the Target in FreshDownload.

If you have XP, by right clicking on the folder file you can call up a menu. The last tab provides the opportunity to record details of the file as a reminder of its use.

Once I have built up a number of useful files in the folder I burn them to a CD-R; opting for multisession mode means I can use the disk until it is full. You do need to keep am accurate record of such files on the disk's case sleeve.

temp003 09:42 16 Mar 04

If you want ie6 service pack 1 itself, Diodorus' 1st link is the one. But that is still not the full download. It's only 480KB, and when you apply it, it makes further downloads as necessary. I don't know why MS doesn't provide the full download for ie6 sp1 (as they do with XP service packs).

Download that file anyway and then click here and follow the instructions on how to download the rest of the update on to disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…