downloading images from website

chesterfield 21:55 03 Jul 05

Does anyone know how you can prevent images that you download from a webiste from opening in the browser window?

I'm building a photo archive which I want people to be able to download images from onto their computers and I think that having to right click on the image in the browser and then select save looks a bit unprofessional.

With other file types you always get a pop up asking if you want to save to disk or open the file directly.

Thanks

Forum Editor 23:02 03 Jul 05

by the time you see an image on your screen, it already has downloaded - into your browser.

Most people who offer images put thumbnails into a table, so people can take a look. What you can do then is add a hyperlink to a second, much larger filesize image which is in a folder in your web structure. Then, when a visitor clicks on the hyperlink the browser will automatically open the download dialogue box.

Is that what you mean?

chesterfield 10:09 04 Jul 05

Thanks for the advice and my plan is exactly as you outline but the problem is that when a user clicks on the hyperlink the image will automatically appear in the browser window - the download dialogue box does not appear as an option when it's an image file that you're downloading!

I want to bypass this default mechanism and give the user the opportunity to save the file without it opening in the browser.

I I were to zip every image this would solve the problem but its just an extra hassel for the user to have to unzip it once downloaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…