Downloading help ?

Bike-it 13:54 05 Nov 05

Hi i'm new to all this computer stuff but recently i went to download a spyware programme off the net and it asked me if i wanted to open or save it so not knowing i cancelled it, what is the difference between opening a download or saving it, what do you all do open or save?

VoG II 14:04 05 Nov 05

Duplicate click here

Sharpamatt 20:23 06 Nov 05

The main differance is you have the choice of either opening the file as soon as its downloaded, ( the open option ) or you can save it ( which you will need a folder to save it to ) and then can install it when you wish.

De Marcus™ 21:17 06 Nov 05

Being new to computing might I enquire as to which anti-spyware program your downloading?

There's lots to choose from, some more 'reputable' than others!

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:57 06 Nov 05

I see from your other thread that you are downloading spybot.

This is perfectly safe to download. Select the save option. For ease of use, save to your desktop and when the download is complete you can doubleclick the spybot icon on your desktop to start the application. (you can then move the download elsewhere if you wish to have a tidy desktop)

The open option will download the application to a temporary folder and run it straightaway. I don't think I have ever used this option, usually safer to use the save option.

HTH

Tas

Daveboy 23:01 11 Nov 05

Personally I always "save" downloads and scan for viruses before running them - better safe than sorry eh !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…