Downloading files - Left click link or Right Click

frostysnowman 10:20 16 May 08

I'm sorry if this seems a stupid question but I am wondering what the difference is when downloading files between just left clicking on the download link (I normally do this and from the options of 'Run', 'Save' or 'Cancel' I choose the 'Save' box to start the download), or right clicking and selecting 'Save Target As'. Is there a specific difference between the two methods or can you do either? I tried downloading using both methods and the files came out exactly the same and I am puzzled why there are 2 methods when they seem to do the same thing. Any advice appreciated.

silverous 10:28 16 May 08

Some people intuitively click and then get to choose between opening and saving, with right click and save target as you are avoiding a pop-up if you know you want to save it I guess. Lots of different ways of doing things with PCs, as you have found it makes no difference to the file.

Also, sometimes files are set to display within a web browser if you click on them I believe so if you didn't want to watch it but wanted to save it you'd do "save target as" after right click rather than click which would open the file up.

johndrew 10:32 16 May 08

I`m certain someone will correct me if I`m wrong, but my understanding is that `Save Target As` is for saving pages and documents from pages rather than downloads. I have never tried downloading with a right click, but presume there must be a default for files that simply saves them as a left click would.

frostysnowman 10:39 16 May 08

Thanks for your reply.
I was concerned that the way I was downloading files wasn't the right way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac