Downloading emails from Outlook.com

ellie72 13:50 31 Jul 13

Hello. I've been having problems with Outlook.com (old Hotmail) for months and am giving up. Emails don't come through for up to 2 days sometimes, which is not good since I use it for my freelance business. So back to Gmail I go... But I've been advised to download all emails received and sent to my hard drive before closing down the Outlook account. But having scoured the internet I can't find out how it's done. Some guidance would be great. Thanks very much

Ex plorer 08:52 05 Aug 13
  ellie72 21:32 05 Aug 13

Thanks Ex plorer, but that's for desktop Outlook not the web-based service. your response is nonetheless appreciated!

lotvic 22:13 05 Aug 13

ellie72 so don't you have an email client program on your pc? or are you only using webmail through your browser?

examples of email client programs: Office Outlook, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Window Mail, etc

wee eddie 22:54 05 Aug 13

Now your emails are collated by Outlook.com, are you logging in with your old Hotmail address?

I have an MSN and a Hotmail Account, within Outlook.com, and have not noticed a delay in delivery, but I do to log into each ,separately, to pick up the mail.

ellie72 16:04 07 Aug 13

Thanks wee edie and lotvic.

wee edie - I didn't have a hotmail account, so logging directly into outlook.com. Lots of other people I know are experiencing similar problems who were previously on hotmail.

lotvic - I'm using eM client as my new programme on my PC. But I can't seem to import folders and emails from outlook.com (which is web-base only).

lotvic 19:00 07 Aug 13

If you do not have an email client on your pc able to receive the downloaded outlook.com emails where can they go and how are you going to open and read them?

Have a read of this guide which will explain a bit and uses a free program 'MailStoreHome' (I've not used this program but found the guide very informative) click here

lotvic 19:04 07 Aug 13

"But I can't seem to import folders and emails from outlook.com (which is web-base only)"

If you want to use that feature to import folders and emails from web to your harddrive it is called IMAP email (as opposed to POP3)

ellie72 21:00 07 Aug 13

"If you want to use that feature to import folders and emails from web to your harddrive it is called IMAP email (as opposed to POP3)"

Ah I see. Thanks for explaining.

Thanks also for the link to MailStoreHome. I didn't explain that emails are now coming in straight from my server host (not via Outlook.com) but there are lots of sent emails and emails in folders on Outlook.com account that I need to import.

lotvic 21:16 07 Aug 13

Re the folders in Outlook.com - As it is too involved for me to start trying to explain and there is a forum for em client that seems to cover what you want to do, to find the relevant threads I suggest you google with the search term: em client imap folders

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant