Downloading Codecs

musopoet 11:47 21 Feb 09

I'm using Window XP Professional and I've been converting some files into AVI files. However, when I tried to import into Windows Moviemaker received the following message:

The file C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\OutPut\.......AVI cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

After receiving advice on here managed to find the download page for Codecs. However, there a selection to choose from including: Basic, Standard and Full Mirror. Which one is best for my needs?

MAJ 11:49 21 Feb 09

If you mean the K-Lite Codec Pack, then Standard is usually sufficient, but I installed the Full package.

jimv7 11:51 21 Feb 09

Download and install the klite codec pack from click here

birdface 11:54 21 Feb 09

Maybe think about downloading it to my documents or somewhere like that.Just press save and don't run it.Then scan it with your security programs first before you run it.A lot of Malware coming in with some codec downloads so better to be safe than sorry.

MAJ 11:59 21 Feb 09

As a matter of interest, what are you trying to to to the avi files in Windows Movie Maker. If you're trying to do some simple editing, try Virtualdub click here (the 1.8.8 (stable) version, either 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your operating system).

gazzaho 13:40 21 Feb 09

I would agree with buteman, be wary of where you download codecs from as it's a favored way of delivering malware Web of Trust lists click here as a genuine site for K-Lite codecs. Download the file you want I myself went with full and as buteman says scan it before installing.

Stuartli 13:50 21 Feb 09

I always use jimv7's suggested website, FileHippo, to download K-Lite packs.

Stuartli 13:51 21 Feb 09

MajorGeeks is another respected website.

musopoet 14:57 22 Feb 09

Ok - I downloaded Codecs then I converted some files into Mpeg files to load into Moviemaker. Made sure they played ok in Media Player then loaded them into Moviemaker and YES! they were imported successfully. HOWEVER, when I tried to drag and drop them into the timeline of Moviemaker they didn't appear! The mpe audio files appeared but not the mpegs!

Also, when I opened up the 'properties' of the files I noticed that the bit rate of the videos wasn't stated but the bit rate of the mp3s was!

What's happening!

musopoet 15:01 22 Feb 09

Forgot to mention...

When I import a video file into Moviemaker it is usually imported as a series of clips. However, the Mpeg I imported appeared as a single clip???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…